53

(53)

Gina was feeling pretty good about herself as she settled into bed.

She had come home from the park and grabbed Brandon and Melissa and took them out to dinner; anywhere they wanted.

They ended up at Boston Pizza. She had to laugh at how much her kids loved pizza, but Gina didn't care.

They had a great meal and afterwards walked back home laughing and enjoying each others company. She needed time with her kids to tear through the grasp that reality was strangling her with.

When they got home, Gina commandeered the bathroom and took a long bubble bath. She told the kids if they needed to go, “Go to Auntie Elaine’s.” 

By the time Gina finished her bath, it was well after 9 p.m..

The kids were both in their rooms.

She went to each room and said goodnight, locked the door and turned off the lights; except for Melissa’s nightlight, and then went to her own room.

She sat in front of her vanity mirror and brushed her shoulder length red hair.

“Not too bad, I guess,” she said aloud, admiring herself.

“For an old broad.”

Suddenly a thought hit her. She remembered the drink of scotch she had with Frank and Louise.

She put her hand on her belly.

“Sorry, little one. That wont happen again.”

She didn’t feel too bad, because she had not finished more than half the drink.

She put down the brush and crawled into bed. She thought about reading, but she was simply too tired. She didn't feel like chasing the words all over the page.

She looked at the book on her nightstand. It had been almost six months since she started the book and she was still only at chapter 3.

“One day,” she said, smiling.

She turned off the light and lay back in the semi darkness, eyes open.

She jumped suddenly, torn from the dream she was having.

“Shit.”

The telephone rang again.

She turned on the nightlight on her night stand and looked at the time.

It was nearly eleven. She must have fallen asleep.

The telephone rang again.

She picked it up.

“Hello?”

“Gina?”

She didn't recognize the voice at first.

“This is Gina,” she said, still half asleep.

“I’m sorry sweetie. Did I wake you?”

Gina sat up in her bed. The voice still was not registering.

“It is okay. I had to get up to answer the phone anyway,” she joked.

The woman laughed.

“This is Kat.”

Gina was suddenly fully awake.

“Hello Kat. How are you?”

“I’m fine, Gina. And you?”

Gina laughed to herself.

“As good as can be expected.”

“I did wake you, didn't I?” Kat stated.

“It is okay, Kat. I was just resting, more than sleeping,” Gina lied, so Kat would not feel so bad.

Gina was getting anxious. Was this just a social call or was it the call she had been waiting for; kind of.

“So what is new with you, Kat?”

“Oh, the same old thing,” Kat lied.

“You know. Kids and grandkids.”

“Well I know kids,” Gina added.

“Don’t need the grandkids yet.”

Both women laughed uneasily.

Gina could hear Kat take a deep breath.

“Shit.”

“What’s wrong, Kat?” Gina asked.

“Dylan came home this morning.”

“By the sound of your voice, all is not well,” Gina quipped.

“Well it started out well,” Kat said.

“He was rested and happy and seemed more like his old self.”

Kat hesitated.

“But?” Gina inquired.

“To be honest, Gina, he blew a fucking gasket when he found out I flew down to talk to you.”

“Shit. Why would he do that?” Gina asked.

“He doesn't seem the type.”

“He isn't as a rule, but there is more shit going on in his mind than he is letting on. 

I guess, too, the way he found out wasn't the best,” Kat continued.

“I was going to get him alone to talk to him, but Tyla told him not long after he got home.  Tyla was so excited about seeing Melissa again and then she told him that you, Melissa and Brandon were coming to visit. He was all sweet to Tyla, but when he got me alone, he read me the riot act.”

Kat told the story to Gina as she relived it in her mind.