38

(38)

Gina was shocked.

‘Own the company,’ she thought.

He had lied to her. Suddenly her defences were up again.

“Thank you Cassie, but I have to go.”

“No, wait,” Cassie said quickly.

“He just walked in. I will put you through.”

“Cassie, no…”

It was too late. A second later, Dylan answered the telephone.

“Dylan here.”

Gina was silent.

“Hello?”

“Hi, Dylan,” Gina said meekly.

“Gina?”

“Yea its me. I know I am probably the last person you want to talk to, but I felt I had to call. We kinda left things hanging the other night.”

There was silence on the telephone.

“You still there, Dylan?” she asked.

“I am, Gina, but I honestly don't know what we have left to talk about,” Dylan said, quietly.

“I thought I made myself clear. You know how I feel.”

“I know,” Gina said, her confidence and spite building, “but something just happened that I find very interesting.”

“Really?” Dylan asked.

“What was that?”

“You made such a big point about honesty and communication and trust and all that bullshit, yet you lied to me.”

“How do you figure that?” Dylan asked, quickly.

“Sales. You told me you were a sales rep for a computer software company,” Gina said, accusingly.

“Okay and your point is?”

“You own the fucking company, Dylan,” Gina barked at him.

“I think that is a little more than a fucking salesman. Why didn't you tell me the truth? Were you afraid that I might go after you for your money.”

Silence filled the air.

Gina tried to calm down, but she was too angry.

“Nothing to say?”

Dylan spoke very calmly.

“My official title is Director of Marketing and Sales. I am also Vice President of Research and Development. And you are right, I am the major owner of the company, but it is a family run business and my family all have shares in the company.”

“And you just failed to mention that to me,” Gina barked again.

“I didn't see the point. I didn't think it was necessary to sound like some teenager bragging about how wonderful he was. If you think back on our conversations, I have used the term, ‘my company’, many times. All you had to do was ask what I meant by that and I would have happily told you. You never asked Gina.”

“You would think that would be something you would mention?”

Gina was backed into a corner and she knew it.

Dylan took a deep breath.

“I don't lie, Gina. I might not always offer up information about myself, but if I am asked the questions, I will answer. You never asked.

We were not together that long, Gina. And believe me, that I am sorry about. I really like you and it may have even grown into something stronger, but you cannot let go of that suspicious mind of yours.”

Gina knew she was defeated. Her natural defence was to try and swing the conversation back to her favour, but she knew there was no use this time.

Dylan simply wasn’t biting.

“I know, but can't we try to start over. You know, a clean slate.”

“Why, Gina? Are you going to change?”

“I can try, Dylan,” she said softly.

“And if you see me hugging Lisa or kissing some woman you don't know on the cheek, are you going to blow up again and suspect the worst?”

Gina was silent, searching for the right words.

“Your silence is the answer, Gina.”

“No,” she said quickly.

“I know I can change.”

“But what if you can’t? What if this is Gina?”

Dylan paused for a second.

“I think it is best that things went the way they did. We are both so wrapped up in our jobs and children, that we have forgotten what it is like to be with anyone else.”

Tears were filling Gina’s eyes again. She didn’t want it to end like this, but she could see no where else to go.

“Maybe you are right, Dylan. Bye.”

Gina quickly hung up the telephone and started crying.

It took her about 15 minutes to gain her composure again.

She was praying that Dylan would call back.

He didn't.