87

(87)

Dylan showed up at the restaurant around 3:30. 

Brandon sat in the car, on the cell phone, texting a girl from his class. 

The two girls ran into the restaurant.

As Dylan was about to enter the restaurant, he saw a man walk around the corner of the restaurant, heading back to where the construction was.

He looked like the one Dylan had seen earlier hanging out in front of the restaurant. The one that ran when he saw Dylan.

Dylan walked toward the edge of the building, and was about to turn the corner, but stopped when he heard Gina’s voice.

“Hey handsome.”

He glanced quickly around the corner of the building, but could no see the man.

Gina walked up to him and kissed him on the lips.

She looked around the corner of the building.

“What are you looking for?”

Dylan shook his head. He did not want to trouble Gina with his paranoia.

“Nothing.”

He kissed Gina.

He heard the two girls giggle.

“In the car,” he ordered, laughing.

Melissa and Tyla got in the back seat of the Toyota Rav 4, Brandon sandwiched between them.

Brandon never paid them a moments notice as he continued to text.

Dylan opened the door for Gina and helped her in the car.

He hurried around and got in quickly.

“Everyone belted in?”

“Yep,” came the answer from the backseat.

“So where are we going, Dylan?” Brandon asked as he put his cell phone in his pocket.

“You will see,” Dylan said as he pulled away from the restaurant.

“Forget it honey,” Gina said to Brandon.

“You won't get nothing out of him.”

A few minutes later they were on the highway headed in the general direction of the airport.

“We flying somewhere?” Gina gingerly asked.

Dylan glanced at her quickly.

“Not today.”

Fifteen minutes later Dylan started to slow and pulled into a centre turning lane.

A large sign to the left welcomed them to Humber Village.

“This is the new housing development,” Gina observed, as they crossed the temporary one lane bridge that crossed the Humber River.

“That it is,” Dylan said. 

He drove down the well graded dirt road, past new homes in various stages of construction.

A few minutes later he turned right and they came to a large gate. Above the arched gate was a sign that said Rebel Estates.

Gina noticed there were no other roads.

A security guard walked out of a small building on the left and approached the car.

“Mr. Lambert. Nice to see you again.”

“Wayne, it is Dylan, remember?”

Wayne nodded, smiling.

“I am sorry. Hard habit to break. I will let you in, Dylan.”

He pulled a small remote from his hand and opened the large iron gates.

“Where are we?” Melissa said aloud.

“You will see,” Tyla answered, excited.

Gina looked back at Tyla.

“You knew about this?”

Tyla laughed.

“Daddy wanted me to keep it a secret.”

They slowly drove along the paved road that gradually headed right. They passed several side roads that went to the left.

Everyone was silent as they drove along, admiring the scenery.

Dylan stopped the car.

“Look,” he said, pointing to the forest.

“Kids, look. It’s a deer,” Gina said excitedly as she pointed out the deer just beyond the tree line.

“There are deer and rabbits and even moose. Lots of ducks and other wildlife,” Dylan explained.

Gina turned to Dylan.

“It’s beautiful.”

Dylan started driving again, as the deer disappeared into the forest.

“You haven't seen anything yet.”

A moment later, the car drove out of the forested area into a large open area.

“Oh my God,” Gina said, as she saw the huge lawn, strategically place trees and flower beds.

But her eyes nearly popped out of her head when she saw the house.

Dylan stopped in front of the house.

Gina opened the car door and stepped out.

The kids quickly jumped out.

Dylan joined Gina in front of the house.

Gina looked up at him.

“Its beautiful.”

“Do you like it?” Dylan asked.

“It is absolutely beautiful,” Gina gasped.

“Whose house is it?”