43

(43)

She returned quickly with the two beer and sat back down. She was very interested in hearing the story.

“What happened then?”

“We kept the company afloat and actually within six months, we had gotten rid of the deadwood that was hanging around and the company was stronger than it had ever been. Sales of H&E was up and we had several young geniuses banging on our doors to get the opportunity to develop their software and hardware. They wanted the freedom of a new company.”

“H&E?” Gina inquired.

Kat shook her head.

“Dylan never mentioned H&E?”

“Well it is a little hard getting information from him at times,” Gina quipped.

“More like pulling teeth,” Kat added.

“H&E is the foundation of Rebel Computers. It is a virus program that Dylan created. It stands for Hound and Eagle.

The basic virus programs out there recognize and trap viruses. H&E, went a step further.

The Hound would sniff out the virus and the Eagle would fly away and find the source. Over the years, it has been improved to a point where many large companies and governments use it to protect their computer systems. Even security agencies like the FBI and CIA and Interpol use the system.”

Kat sipped her beer.

“Of course there is a lot more to it than the simple way I explained it, but I think you get the general idea,”

Gina nodded.

Kat continued her story.

“Anyway, Dylan was back by this point and he was cleaned up.

After apologizing to us for what seemed like forever, he took a couple weeks vacation in Mexico.

When he came back, he sat all of us down and told us he had restructured the company.

He gave Will and I 15% and 15% to both Jamie and Nicky.

He made Will and I controllers and Vice Presidents of the Finances.

He made Nicky VP of Human Resources and Promotions.

He made his older sister Jamie the Chief Operating Officer.

Dylan took over Sales and Marketing.

Within a month or so, both Jason and Philip were working there as well. Philip was the head of development and Jason became Jamie’s assistant. Actually they started running the company together.”

“And it worked well, I assume?” Gina questioned.

Kat smiled.

“We are the largest computer company in Canada and the third largest in the world. And we are privately owned. We have not sold a single share in our company.”

Gina sat back in the chair.

“That was an amazing story. I am so sorry for what Dylan and your family went through, but it seems like everything is where it should be. I honestly don’t see where I fall into this, Kat. Dylan and I are not a couple.”

“I wanted you to understand Dylan a little better,” Kat said quickly, “because if I know my son, he has been rather discreet about a lot of things.”

Gina laughed slightly.

“That… is an understatement.”

“I figured that,” Kat said.

“But still, Kat. Dylan and I are over. I don't know what you want of me,” Gina said.

“I don't think for a second that you and Dylan are over,” Kat said, firmly.

“Well he is not here, Kat and I have not heard from him.”

Gina stood and walked to her living room window. She did not want Kat to see the tears in her eyes. 

“Do you still love him?” she asked Gina.

Gina answered without turning.

“We had a couple dates, that’s all. We hardly got to know each other.”

“That was not what I asked you, Gina.”

Gina turned slowly and looked at Kat. Her eyes were filled with tears.

“Yes,” she said softly.

She started crying.

Kat got up and walked to Gina. She put her arms around her and held her tight.

“If that is true, then our family needs your help.”