108

(108)

Gina parked the car and opened the door.

She got out and stood, leaning on the hood for a moment.

The rear door opened and Melissa got out.

“Get your brother, will you sweetie?”

“Okay, Mom.”

She went around to the opposite side of the car, opened the door and a moment later stood up, with her baby brother in her arms.

“Hey little D.J. ,” she said as she pulled his pant’s leg down.

Gina walked around the car.

The little boy held out his arms to his mother.

Gina picked him up in her arms and kissed his cheek.

“Have you heard from your brother?” she asked Melissa.

“He just texted me,” Melissa said, nodding.

“Him and Joey will be here in a minute.”

“We will go on then. Get the flowers from the car, sweetie.”

Melissa nodded and went back to the car.

Gina started walking down the stone path that led from the parking lot to the main cemetery. 

Melissa was at her side in a moment holding a vase of roses.

They walked in silence along a well worn path for a minute or so, before Gina stopped.

She kissed D.J. and passed him to Melissa, who had put the vase of roses on the ground.

She saw Brandon and Joey walking up the path toward them, hand in hand.

Gina picked up the flowers.

“You guys stay here for a few minutes.”

Brandon and Joey were both there as she finished and she quickly kissed each of them on the cheek.

“Do you want me to come?” Brandon asked.

Gina shook her head.

“You stay here, honey. Let me have a few minutes alone.”

Brandon nodded and gave his Mom a hug.

Gina walked past several headstones before stopping near a larger stone.

She put the vase of roses on the ground in front of the headstone.

“I thought these might brighten up your day a little.”

She took a handkerchief from her purse and wiped her eye.

“I miss you. I really do.”

Gina knelt on the ground.

“The kids miss you too. Brandon is all grown up now. He’s 18 and in college. You would be so proud of him. He is studying computer programming. He wants to invent video games. 

He and Joey are still friends, although I think it is a little more than that since they are talking about getting a place together.

Melissa is quite a little lady now. She is ten going on thirty. She is so beautiful and she is doing so well in school.

Tyla is a heartbreaker. She is so pretty and the boys are just constantly calling her.”

Gina wiped her eyes again.

“Did I tell you that I miss you? It is just not the same without you. There is not a day that goes by that you are not in my heart and my mind.

I just wish you were still here.”

Gina paused for a moment before continuing. She arranged the roses in the vase, as she spoke.

“D.J. said mama the other day and he is taking his first steps. He is such a handsome young man, like his father. I wish you were here to see him. You would just love him too.”

Tears were streaming down Gina’s face.

“I have so much to tell you, but it hurts so much. There are times when I close my eyes, I can almost feel your presence. I see you in my dreams.”

Gina closed her eyes.

“I can almost feel you now.”

Gina could feel someone kneel near her.

A hand took her hand.

“I love you,” she whispered.