55

(55)

Brandon opened the door slowly, without looking in.

“Can I come in, Mom?”

Gina crumbled the tissue she had in her hand and hid it under her blanket.

“Come in, honey.”

Brandon came into the room, closing the door softly behind him. He walked across the room and stood near the head of Gina’s bed.

Gina forced a smile, but Brandon saw the redness in her eyes.

“You have been crying again,” Brandon stated.

Gina knew she couldn't lie.

“I am okay, hun. Just thinking about some things. Nothing that you should worry about.”

Brandon shook his head.

“You have told me many times that I am the man of the house, so if something is bothering you, then it bothers me.”

Gina had to smile. He was absolutely right.

“You really are the man of the house, aren’t you?”

“Mom, I will be 16 in a couple weeks and I start high school this year. That makes me a man now,” Brandon said, firmly.

Gina held out her arms.

“Are you too much of a man to hug your Mom?”

Brandon quickly hugged his Mom.

“Never too old for that, Mom.”

Gina never wanted to let go. It felt good to be hugged by someone who loved you.

Finally she did let him go. Her eyes were filled with tears again.

“Sorry.”

She wiped her eyes quickly and patted the bed by her waist.

“Sit. Tell me what is on your mind.”

Brandon sat on the bed and took his mother’s hand.

“I know something is bothering you, Mom. I am worried.”

Gina took a deep breath. She wondered how much she could tell him. She knew he was still a child, but he was growing up so fast.

And there was no way she could hide things forever.

She put her hand on Brandon’s cheek.

“Ok, my big man. What do you want to know?”

“You have been so sad lately, Mom. What is going on? Are you sick?”

There was a look of fear on his face.

Gina shook her head.

“I am not sick, hun.”

She closed her eyes and took another deep breath.

“The restaurant has been sold. Frank and Louise told me today that someone has bought the restaurant and their house.”

“Who?” Brandon asked.

Gina shook her head.

“I don't know, hun. The Barker’s don't even know. They have been dealing with a real estate agent and a lawyer. They got a great offer, so they sold.”

“Are you going to lose your job?” Brandon asked, concerned.

Gina shrugged.

“Again, I don’t know. They said they would put a good word in for me, but I won't know until the new owners come in. I can only hope that they will keep some of us on. If not, then I will have to find another job.”

Brandon nodded.

“I could quit school and get a job if I need to. Uncle Troy said I could work with him now, part-time, and when I finish school he would hire me full time.”

Gina shook her head.

“Nice try. You are not quitting school. And when did he say this?”

“This morning. He said I could work a few hours each day and he would pay me $10 an hour. We could use the extra money, if you lose your job.”

Brandon did his best to win Gina over to his way of thinking, but it was no good.

“You are finishing school. If you want to work a few hours a day, then I might agree with that, but what about your sister?” Gina wondered.

“Uncle Troy said I could work on mornings when you are off and on your days off.”

Brandon was getting more excited.

“What about your paper route?” Gina asked.

“You have a responsibility to your customers.”

“Billy Hampton said he would take over the paper route,” Brandon said quickly.

Gina smiled and nodded.

“I will talk to your Uncle Troy and if all is okay, then you can give it a try.”

“Thank you, Mom,” Brandon said excitedly.

“Butttttttttt,” Gina added.

“You are going to school and I don't expect your marks to suffer.”

She offered her hand to Brandon.

“Deal?”

He nodded, a huge smile on his face. He grabbed his mother’s hand.
“Deal.”

He gave Gina a hug.

“Thank you, Mom.”

Gina was smiling. She was feeling better, but the smile left her face as she continued to look at Brandon.

His wide smile disappeared gradually and a very serious look came to his face.

“Brandon?” Gina said softly.

“What is wrong, baby?”

Brandon looked at his mother with wondering eyes.

“Are you pregnant, Mom?”