60

(60)

"Me? No," Randi said.

"I have management background but I don't know the food industry at all."

She stared at Gina.

"You will be the new general manager."

Gina just wanted to shrink under the table. She felt like a complete idiot.

"I am so sorry," she repeated, again.

Randi laughed.

"Ok. So am I. I was jerking you around a little, but that's just me. You had better get used to it because we will be working side by side through this thing."

Gina started laughing.

"Ok, if you promise to kick my ass when I start going off about something," Gina said, her hands over her face trying to hide the blushing.

She was starting to get a good feel for Randi.

Randi smiled. "You got a deal. So, do you want the general manager's job or not."

Gina was getting excited.

"Of course I do."

"Good," Randi exclaimed.

"Here is how it will work. I am a project manager, more than anything. The restaurant is going to undergo extensive renovations and expansion."

"Really?" Gina was now very excited.

Randi nodded.

"The new owners have purchased the property on the left hand side of the restaurant as well and it will be torn down."

"Thats to bad," Gina said sadly.

"Old Mrs. Kendall has had her pawn shop there for a long time and she lives upstairs."

"We are moving her across the street to the Price building and with the sale of her property she has enough money to move into the new condo building on the west side."

Randi sipped her beer.

"The new owners have no intention of putting anyone out."

"Who are the new owners?" Gina asked.

Randi shook her head.

"I can't tell you that. What I will tell you is that they are an investment group and this is just an investment to them. They plan to purchase several properties in the city, including this hotel."

"Why?" Gina wondered, aloud.

"It is not like this is a big city or anything."

"Rebel Computers are moving their head office and manufacturing operations here. The new business subdivision that the city is planning will use them as the cornerstone to attract other potential clients. Our Investment group sees a huge opportunity here so they are getting in on the ground floor, before someone else does."

Gina was speechless.

"You okay, Gina?" Randi asked, noticing a confused look on her face.

Gina nodded. "Just a little overwhelmed. Are you sure Rebel Computers are moving here?"

"Absolutely. They have already signed contracts with the city," Randi assured her.

Gina suddenly felt light headed. Maybe there was still hope for her and Dylan.

"And so you will be managing the properties for this group?"

Randi nodded.

"I will. I will be the one that makes sure all the t's are crossed and the i's dotted and then I will take over the general manager duties for all the properties.

We pretty much have the hotel purchased and we have purchased some other properties for future development. But right now we have big plans for the restaurant and that is why I wanted to talk to you here tonight."

Gina was smiling ear to ear and her heart was pounding with excitement.

At that moment, Randi's cell phone rang.

She picked it up and looked at the caller ID.

"I am sorry, Gina, but I have to take this call."

Gina nodded as Randi stood up and started walking away from the table.

She did not know who Randi was talking to, but she caught a little of the conversation.

"Yes, she is here with me now."

Randi's voice got lower as she headed toward the lounge's doors that led to the main lobby.

"Yes, she is a wonderful woman. Yes I know ...."

Her voice trailed off.

Gina looked out the window of the lounge.

Suddenly the dark clouds seemed to be lifting.