45

(45)

“So he went out and got drunk?” Gina asked.

“You could call it drunk. Apparently he ended up in some shit-hole bar, buying drinks for everyone there. He ran up a huge tab and then someone stole his wallet, while he was drunk. The owner of the bar beat the crap out of him, or at least tried to. Dylan can handle himself. 

Anyway, the cops showed up and Dylan was arrested and to top it all off, whoever stole his wallet ran up charges all over town.

It was a fucking mess.”
Kat sipped her beer, shaking her head.

“Will managed to cool things down with the bar owner. It cost like $50,000.”

“What,” Gina yelled.

“That’s ridiculous.”

“That was only the start. By the time we got the card cancelled and paid off the charges it was closer to $100,000.”

“Shit,” Gina swore.

“Yea, shit,” Kat agreed.

“And that was just night one. This went on for four days and nights, until once again, the boys had to track him down and haul his skinny ass back home.”

“What about Tyla?” Gina asked, concerned.

“She stayed at Jamie’s and we lied to her, telling her that her Daddy was out of town. It is not our nature to lie,” Kat explained.

“It is really hard for us to hide the truth.”

“So he was falling back into the same routine he did after Donna died,” Gina stated.

Kat nodded.

“We managed to keep him home for a couple days and even sober him up. Will finally talked to him, to see what was dragging him down this time.”

Gina closed her eyes and shook her head.
“It was because we broke up?”

It was as much a statement as a question.

Kat nodded.

“He told Will that he was in love with you and he was mad at himself for being such an ass toward you.”

“If that is true,” Gina said quickly, “then why did he act the way he did. He wouldn't even let me explain. He just shut the door on us.”

“I know,” Kat explained. “I know exactly what Dylan is like and I can try to explain his actions. I am not saying I agree, but there is some merit to it.

Although he has a tendency to go fucking overboard at times.”

“I felt like throwing him overboard,” Gina snipped under her breath.

She gave an apologetic look to Kat, but Kat started laughing. Gina joined her.

“I’m sorry, Kat, but once I got over the shock, I was mad at Dylan. I mean, I was mad at myself for being so suspicious, but he was so cold.”

“He got that way after Donna died,” Kat explained.

“Dylan and Donna were as close to perfect as anyone could ever imagine. They never fought. They knew every move the other was going to make and they could tell exactly what the other was thinking, just by looking at them.”

“Wow,” Gina said.

“It sounds perfect.”

“After Donna died and Dylan got his shit back together, he did a little dating. This started about two years after Donna died. We all encouraged him to at least go out on an occasional date, even if it wasn’t anything serious.”

“And did he?” Gina inquired.

Kat nodded.

“He did, but it seemed that every woman he dated was just after him for what he could give them. There were a couple that blatantly cheated on him and another was married. A couple of them were so dumb, they couldn't even tell time.”

Gina started laughing.

“I’m not kidding,” Kat continued.

“Fuck and they weren’t even blonde.”

Both women laughed.