11

(11)

Gina was able to finish her inventory and even prepare the schedules for the next week. The girls quickly got everything sorted out and had everyone happy in no time.

Gina was so proud of her staff.

It was about an hour or so later that Sonja walked into Gina’s office.

“How is it out there now?” Gina asked her.

“It is fine, boss. Everything’s under control.”

Gina looked at Sonja.

“You look like you have something on your mind.”

“That guy at 16?”

“Did he hit on you too?” Gina asked her.

Sonja shook her head.

“Actually he was a perfect gentleman.”

Gina was surprised.

“Really?”

Sonja nodded.

“He’s not married.”

“Why would you say that?” Gina asked.

“I talked to him a little,” Sonja explained.

“He was talking to his daughter. He has an 11 year old girl, Tyla. His wife died nine years ago.”

Gina was silent. Suddenly she felt bad for the way she reacted, but how was she to know.

Sonja continued, “He showed me a picture of his daughter. She is gorgeous.”

Gina sighed.

“Well I guess I read him wrong.”

“Its too bad. He left a hundred dollar tip,” Sonja exclaimed.

“Really?” Gina exclaimed.

Sonja nodded.

“He also wanted me to give a message to the red haired lady who served him first.”

Gina sat back in her chair.

Sonja told her the message.

“He said to tell the lady that if he offended her in any way, then he apologizes. He also said that, she must be used to it, as beautiful as she is.”

Gina was ruffled. She blushed slightly.

“Why would he say that?” she asked, returning to the paperwork she was doing.

“Oh, I don't know,” Sonja answered, shrugging her shoulders.

“Maybe because he was a nice guy and maybe because you, despite your newfound hatred of men, are very beautiful.”

Gina sat back in her chair and spun around, facing Sonja.

“I don't hate men,” she stated.

Sonja nodded. 

“Yea, you have developed a bad attitude toward them, boss.”

Gina ignored her and quietly said.

“And I am certainly not beautiful. I am a 35 year old single mother and …”

Sonja cut her off.

“Gina, remember who you are talking to. I am a lesbian, remember, and I think you are beautiful.”

Gina blushed even more and turned back to her desk.

“Get out of here,” she said jokingly.

Sonja kissed Gina on the top of the head.

“You are beautiful.”

She left the office.

Gina dropped the pen that she had in her hand, on the desk.

She pushed her red hair back from her face.

Quickly she got up and took her jacket.

She said goodnight to the staff and walked home.

While walking the two blocks to her apartment building, Gina kept wondering what Sonja had said.

Was she indeed developing an attitude with men?

In a way she defended herself. Her husband had been a prick, who left her while she was pregnant and most of the men she had dated since, were jerks.

There had not been a lot, as work and the kids took up most of her time, but of the dozen or more she had dated, only twice had there been a second date and only once had she slept with with the man she was dating.

Barry was his name and he seemed to be a great guy. She even introduced him to her kids.

Things were going along great, so she decided to go the next step and she stayed at his apartment one night.

It had been a wonderful night and the next morning they had coffee together and he promised to call her later that night.

He never called. Not that night or the next day or ever.

She even went to his apartment, only to find out that he had been staying there, apartment sitting while the owners were out of town for three months.

They didn't even know where he was.

As she opened the main door to the apartment building, she once again wondered about this man, Dylan.

“What difference does it make now,” she said aloud as she walked up the stairs to the second floor. 

“I will never see him again.”