Invisible

Your fingers are tracing the ink on his arm, circling the thin black lines carefully. You don't remember the last time, you felt as calm as you do now. It's rather nice, not having chaotic thoughts or constant stress about university on your mind. 

Shawn's eyes are shut and his eyelashes flickers when he sucks in air between his rosy lips. You are laying on the bed in your dorm, legs entangled to each other and his head resting on your lower stomach. Shawn's body is warm, his hair is messy and curls are falling into his eyes but he looks absolutely adorable to you. As always, of course. Shawn rubs his cheek against your body, seeking the slightest bit more attention and affection.

You have been apart for a couple of weeks, Shawn's been in Europe and you have been occupied with your final exams before New Year's. 

You smile to yourself and allow your fingers to follow his jawline, softly caressing his tender skin. Shawn's been here for the past four days and either of you have left the room. 

You stacked up on snacks the day he got here, Shawn brought wine and otherwise, you have been living of the cup noodles, your mother always sends you. 

"Babe," You begin as Shawn opens his tired eyes to find yours. "Have you ever thought about why we didn't talk during high school?" 

Shawn laughs at your sudden question and his hand slips into the bag of Cheetos for a handful to eat. You open your mouth when he wants to feed you some as well. You wonder about this at times because it seems somewhat strange to you. 

You knew of Shawn back then, even had a few common friends and as far as you remember a math class but you never said a word to him during those years and neither did he. And then, around a year later, you two were inseparable. 

"I was shy and awkward," Shawn mutters, adjusting his position, seeking better comfort. "And you were, well... You were the sweet one whom all wanted to know, to be friends with. I couldn't compete with that." You roll your eyes at his silly words, knowing Shawn was at least as likeable as you. Probably more to be entirely fair, Shawn has grown to be quite good with people. 

"That's not true." You correct him as he stuffs more Cheetos into his mouth. "I mean the shy and awkward part is, but..." You tease him and he shakes his head at you. 

"Well aren't you a comedian." He fires back with a fake laughter. 

"No, but seriously." You tell him, your thumbs rubbing his cheeks. 

"Don't know, to be fair." He says as his tongue slips between his lips. 

"You probably didn't even really know how I was." You joke, but Shawn's eyes stay the tiniest bit serious. "I'm joking." You calm him and shake your head. A short silence spread between you and you can tell something is on his mind. 

"What?" 

"I noticed you the first day, you know?" Shawn tells you with a soft smile. 

"You did?" You wonder, tilting your head sideways. 

"Mh, you were wearing that grey hoodie with the zipper." Shawn says and you smile at his words. You were in fact wearing the grey hoodie on your first day. "And you were nervous, I could tell." 

"And how would you know that, Mr. mind-reader?" You tease back while raising your eyebrow at him. 

"Because you were quiet and you had a stutter when introducing yourself to the class." Shawn tells you and your heart stops for a minute. You hardly even remember being nervous, you probably were, but Shawn remembers more details about you than you actually do. 

"I noticed you too." You admit, sucking your bottom lip. "The first day. I noticed you too." Shawn shakes his head with a laughter and rolls his eyes joking at you. 

"Yeah right." He says and shrugs his shoulders in disbelieve. "No one noticed me. Not until after." He mumbles and your heart aches a little. People changed when Shawn started getting known and it took a tool on him, you are aware. 

"Maybe that's what you think, but I did." 

"Prove it." Shawn dares you and leans closer to kiss you for a second or two. 

His warmth spreads to your body and you instantly feel the lingering his sweet taste leaves you with. You tug your fingers into his hair and roll your eyes at him. 

"You were late, on the first day. You stumbled confused through the hallways with your head down. As if you were too frightened or maybe too shy to look people in the eye." You say and Shawn looks at you with surprise. "And you didn't like to draw attention to you, when we had to tell a little about who we were, you kind of whispered your way through it." 

"Yeah, I remember that part." Shawn jokes and makes you laugh. 

"But you were kind, I remember that. You always held the door for people, you borrowed out pens and went through homework with someone if they had trouble. But you didn't like to speak in class. You let them take credit for your work, because you would rather sit back and listen to other's." 

You look down to smile at Shawn and you notice his teary eyes and then, you suddenly feel guilty. Your thumb slips across his trembling lips in attempt to calm him. 

"Babe, what?" You ask him. 

"Nothing." He blurs, clearing his throat to prevent the tears from fully appearing. "I just didn't realise that... That you even had the slightest interest in me back then." 

"You know what? I think maybe... I loved you already then." You whisper and feel a heat run down your spine. "I know it sounds stupid because," 

"It doesn't," Shawn hurries to interrupt you and your eyes seek to find his stare. "I think maybe I did too. Know already back then. Even before we said a word to each other, your smile made my day." Shawn confesses to you and you hardly manage to breathe. You brush your nose against his and feel the smile that spreads on Shawn's lips. 

"You wanted to be invisible, but I saw you. I always saw you." 

"I never knew." Shawn whispers back. 

"Well," You tell him with a smile. You bend forward to kiss him, a long and warm kiss, until you remove your lips from his to look him in the eye. "Now you know."