Do you ever think about marrying me? (line blurb)

"Do you ever think about getting married?" Shawn asked you, turning down the music blasting in his car.

His question took you by surprise and you didn't know just how to react to his sudden words. You turned your head slowly, gazing over at him sitting in the drivers seat beside you, curls messy and with a slight blush appearing on his face. His shy eyes met yours shortly, before looking back on the road.

You were driving home from dinner with his parents and sure, you had noticed Shawn was much more quiet than he usually was on the car ride way home, but you'd never imagined the reason of it being him wanting to ask you this question.

"I don't know." You told him, shrugging your shoulders. "Maybe."

Shawn's thumbs rubbed the edge of the steering wheel roughly as he bit into his bottom lip harshly. Avoiding all eye contact with you, though you were sure, he could feel your eyes staring towards him.

"Do you ever think about marrying me?" He asked again, stuttering the words out.

A pink flush spread on his face and you watched as his eyes nervously darted from the road over to you and back at the road again. He held his breath as he waited impatiently for you to answer his question.

"Do you?" You asked him, rubbing your palms nervously in your lap.

You and Shawn had never spoken about marriage before, it had never been a topic in the four years you had been with him. Not that you didn't want it to be, but it had never been brought up and with everything going on in Shawn's life, you didn't want to push. You were young and had plenty of time, you figured that talk would come along whenever it wad time.

Shawn shrugged, before taking a deep breath. His fingertip tighten around the wheel as he debated whether to answer the question truthfully or sugar-coat it a tad.

"I think about marrying you all the time." He admitted, honestly. You felt your heart skip a beat as you gazed to your side and caught his blurry silhouette.

"You do?"

"I think about our future a lot, actually."

"What does our future look like?"

"Well-" Shawn started, his eyes popping your way for a shot second.

He sent you the most loving smile in the world that heated your cheeks within the matter of seconds, before Shawn quickly let his hand stroke your chin tenderly.

"We'll be living in an apartment with a purple front door, just like your grandparents had. Somewhere a little out of the city because I like the peace, but close enough for you to get to work or school in less than thirty minutes. I want a place close to the woods, so you can take those hour long walks you love so much. And I guess, I have to give in to the idea of you finally getting a puppy, like you always talk about. But I guess it will make me feel calmer too, because there's someone to look out for you when I'm away, someone to keep you company and keep you safe. Or safer at least."

His words crumbled your heart completely and you couldn't hold back the smile that spread on your lips nor the warmth that ran down your spine.

You were aware that Shawn loved you, but sometimes, he was terrible at saying those words aloud. You never knew, he saw such a clear future with you. You never knew, this was how much he actually loved you.

"And I want a swimming pool, I think. So you can finally teach me how to swim. And a fireplace so we can sit on the floor late at night in our underwear and I can play you my songs. And I want a huge yard so when we have kids along the way, we can build a massive playground with swing sets and a sand box and whatever kids like to play with. And when we grow old, we can sit on the porch, looking out on the playground we build, looking at the life we build together when we were young-" Shawn turned his head towards you, but his smile suddenly faded and his face turned pale.

"Babe, why are you crying? Are you upset?" He worried, reaching out for your shaking hand in your lap.

He interlaced your fingers together before pulling your hand up to his mouth, brushing his soft lips against your knuckles. Planting small but sweet kisses to calm you down.

"I'm not upset, baby."

"Then what?"

"Oh you dork, you know just what to say to make a girl's heart melt." You laughed at him, wiping away the few tears running down your cheeks.

The relief floated across Shawn's face and shortly after, his familiar, warm smile appeared on those pink lips. Reaching a red light, Shawn leaned in and planted four sweet yet passionate kisses on your somewhat wet lips.

"Does that mean I'm in your future as well?" He asked you, biting the inside of his cheek as he waited nervously for your answer.

"Shawn, you are my future."