Act Like You Love Me - Three

January 11 th, 2026

"Hey honey." You said lovingly as Leah jumped out of the black jeep and started running towards the door to your apartment.

A smile spread on her tiny lips as you met her in a hug, afterwards picking her up from the ground to cling her to your chest. You kissed the top of her dark, curly hair and then you let your nose brush against hers.

"Mommy." She laughed childishly at you. "It's too tight." You couldn't help but join her little laughter.

"Sorry sweetheart." You said while putting her down again. "I've just missed you so much this weekend!"

Leah sent you a wide smile as response, pointing her fingertip to her lips wanting a kiss from you. You leaned down and planted a soft kiss on her lips as she asked you to and you finally felt the ache from missing her beginning to fade.

You weren't sure if you would ever get used to not having Leah with you every day. Though you knew Shawn took such good care of her, you missed her terribly much the second you had drop her off and all you ever did while she was at her dad's, was counting the days until she would come back to you.

It almost felt like a part of you was constantly missing. Either it was Leah or it was Shawn. The heartache from missing Leah luckily disappeared whenever she came home again, the heartache due to Shawn, you had to somehow get used to dealing with.

A few moments after you had greeted Leah, Shawn walked towards your front door as well, carrying a bag of Leah's things in his arms. You sent him a little but friendly smile while chewing on your bottom lip.

"Hey y/n."

"Hi Shawn." You stuttered, taking the bag in your hands and putting it down in the hallway.

"Her teddy is in there." Shawn said, his hands moving into the pocket of his jeans. "She left it behind last time and I know how she can't sleep without it."

"Thank you." You said politely, feeling your body quiver by his presence. Your palms felt sweaty and a little lump forced in your throat.

"Honey, go put the bag in your room." You told Leah and she did what you asked her to do.

It left Shawn and you behind in a moment of silence, both chewing on the tension hanging in the air, tasting the uncomfortableness between you on the tip of your tongues, before Shawn had gathered enough courage to say something.

"I wish you would change your mind." He blurred, his eyes flickering before finding your stare.

You watched his dark eyes widen, knowing the pain was growing in his chest by standing here and pouring his heart out. He tried to hide it, though. But he could never really hide his feelings from you.

"I'm not going to, Shawn."

"But why not?" He asked you, eyes firing towards your face. "We had a moment. A good moment, a fantastic one. We went back to normal, I-"

"Shawn, we shouldn't have slept together." You interrupted him before it all got too far. "It was a mistake. Deep down, you know that as well."

"It wasn't a mistake to me." He sighed, eyes falling to the ground. "I still love you."

Though you kept a good amount of space between you and Shawn, you could tell he was tearing up from the way his lips were trembling and how he didn't want to look at you. You heard him force a breath into his lungs while he blinked his eyes to prevent the tears from showing too well.

And to be honest, your heart had never felt heavier than it did right now. Seeing Shawn fighting to not break down right here on your doorstep was slowly but surely killing parts of you inside. And all you really could do was stand there and watch him fall apart, the man you loved with every bone in your body.