52

Top Secret Information

"You two passed your Apparation tests, then?" 

Harry sounded bitter about it but that didn't do anything to dampen the mood of the Twins, they both gave him an even bigger smile than before, the apparition test had one of the days when they felt superior to most of their siblings. While the twins had been pretty confident with themselves, the constant telling off by Molly and Percy had many times led to them doubting their abilities. 

"With distinction," said Fred. Charlie smiled.

"Haven't left a chance to boost it in my face," Charlie said.

"Well, love, you aren't very good at apparition. We weren't the ones who landed five miles from where we were supposed to," Fred said. Charlie muttered a small shut up under her breath.

"It would have taken you about thirty seconds longer to walk down the stairs," said Ron.

"Time is Galleons, little brother," said Fred. "Anyway, Harry, you're interfering with reception. Extendable Ears," he added in response to Harry's raised eyebrows, holding up the string, which Harry now saw was trailing out onto the landing.

"We're trying to hear what's going on downstairs."

"You want to be careful," said Ron, staring at the ear. "If Mum sees one of them again..."

"It's worth the risk, that's a major meeting they're having," said Fred when Ginny appeared out of her room.

"Oh hello, Harry!" said Ginny, brightly. "I thought I heard your voice."

Turning to Fred and George she said, "It's no go with the Extendable Ears, she's gone and put an Imperturbable Charm on the kitchen door."

"How d'you know?" said George, looking crestfallen.

"Tonks told me how to find out," said Ginny. "You just chuck stuff at the door and if it can't make contact the door's been Imperturbed. I've been flicking Dungbombs at it from the top of the stairs and they just soar away from it, so there's no way the Extendable Ears will be able to get under the gap." Fred heaved a deep sigh. 

"Shame. I really fancied finding out what old Snape's been up to."

"Snape?" said Harry quickly. "Is he here?" 

"Yeah," said George, carefully closing the door and sitting down on one of the beds; Fred, Charlie and Ginny followed. 

"Giving a report. Top secret." Charlie said clearly amused by everybody's hatred for the potion's master.

"Git," said Fred idly. 

"He's on our side now," said Hermione reprovingly, Ron snorted. 

"Doesn't stop him being a git. The way he looks at us when he sees us..."