58

Toujours Pur

Toujours Pur

"I would mind what you say next Kreacher," 

Charlie narrowed her eyes at the house-elf, she hated the choice of words which he had chosen for everyone in the room, she hadn't said anything yet but calling the twins unnatural beasts had pushed her off the edge. The twins were one of the kindest and compassionate people she had ever met, even if she hadn't been dating Fred, her opinion would have remained the same, the elf turned to her about to say something when he noticed someone standing behind her. Harry Potter. 

"This is Harry, Kreacher," said Hermione tentatively. "Harry Potter."

Kreacher's pale eyes widened and he muttered faster and more furiously than ever. 

"The Mudblood is talking to Kreacher as though she is my friend, if Kreacher's Mistress saw him in such company, oh what would she say —"

"Don't call her a Mudblood!" said Ron and Ginny together, very angrily. 

"It doesn't matter," Hermione whispered, "he's not in his right mind, he doesn't know what he's —"

"Don't kid yourself, Hermione, he knows exactly what he's saying," said Fred, eyeing Kreacher with great dislike. Kreacher was still muttering, his eyes on Harry. 

"Is it true? Is it Harry Potter? Kreacher can see the scar, it must be true, that's that boy who stopped the Dark Lord, Kreacher wonders how he did it —"

"Don't we all, Kreacher?" said Fred. 

"What do you want anyway?" George asked. Kreacher's huge eyes darted onto George.

"Kreacher is cleaning," he said evasively. 

"A likely story," Everyone turned around to see Sirius standing by the door, he was glaring at the house-elf, at the sight of Sirius, Kreacher flung himself into a ridiculously low bow that flattened his snoutlike nose on the floor. 

"Stand up straight," said Sirius impatiently. "Now, what are you up to?"

"Kreacher is cleaning," the elf repeated. "Kreacher lives to serve the noble house of Black —"

"— and it's getting blacker every day, it's filthy," said Sirius. 

"Master always liked his little joke," said  Kreacher, bowing again. He continued muttering under his breath about how Sirius broke his mother's heart which Sirius responded by saying that his mother didn't have a heart. Sirius looked irritated at the house-elf, it was evident on his face as he questioned the house-elf of its intentions and then accused it of stealing things from the house on Sirius's mother's orders.

"Kreacher would never move anything from its proper place in Master's house," Kreacher said and then muttered about how the tapestry was in the family for seven centuries and how it was its responsibility to protect it from Sirius and the brats and the blood traitors.