4

The Mood Candy

The Mood Candy

Halloween was something everybody at Hogwarts looked forward to and that was because of two main reasons, one, the Great Hall was lit and second, the food in the Great Hall was over the top, the candies, the cakes and the smell of candies. Halloween wasn't crazy at Hogwarts, there were no fancy dresses or trick or treat, just food, food and food.  

Charlie Densmore sat on the floor of her dormitory with her cauldron in front of her, the potion bubbling as she lazily waved her wand to stir the potion in an anti-clockwise direction, her Halloween special candy was almost ready and this time it looked perfect. It had the perfect texture and the perfect colour for just a couple of hours and it will solid enough and cool enough to try on Ainsley. She just hoped it would end with Ainsley vomiting in projectile motion and her cleaning up the mess before any prefect or student notices or even worse Ainsley being sent to the hospital wing. Coming up with a lie to tell Madam Pomfrey was difficult, the woman had a knack for catching lies and it wasn't pretty when the woman was angry.

"I have never been prouder of myself in my entire life." Charlie said dramatically as she wiped the invisible tears from her cheeks, ' Let's just hope there will be no projectile vomiting involved."

Her idea of a paper candy which changes taste according to the eater's mood( like spicy for angry, sweet for happy, sour for mischievous) was coming to life and she honestly felt like it was a big step in her "candy" production. Her earlier candies weren't that great or creative and the creative ones usually had some minor mistake in them, sometimes with the charm or sometimes with the ingredients which went into the potion. There were so many times when the basic candies didn't taste good or their texture was bad or even the flavour combinations weren't good, however good they sounded in her head.

Pouring the candy in a flat pan, she set the pan aside and cleaned everything up with just a wave of her wand and went downstairs to find Ainsley who was at dinner, which had just started. She hoped that she would have dinner after completing the candy and the dinner time was an easy way to manipulate Ainsley who agreed to anything and everything when there was food in his mouth.

The Great Hall was lit with candles and pumpkins as students were eating their food(read candy), everybody was eating with smiles on their faces, looking around she saw Fred and George Weasley stuffing their faces with the carrot cake while Ainsley was eating his food with a fork and knife. It seemed as if the Twins sensed her presence and looked up from their food before waving at her which she returned with a smile on her face ever since Fred had complimented that she looked good that day, it had been on her mind and she had been in a good mood since. The good mood really helped with the potion brewing, the saying was true, magic and a good mood is a great combination.

She made her way over to the Ravenclaw table where Ainsley was wiping his mouth with a napkin and sometimes it surprised her how much the boy loved his manners and tried making Charlie follow them which he failed miserably.

"Hello, what's in for today's dinner?" Charlie asked as she sat down next to him.

"Just some shepherd's pie and lots of candies, how could a person eat so much candy?" Ainsley said as he waved his hand over the table showing how much candy was on the table.

"It's not just for you to eat but for the people who sit at the table."

"Yeah, people don't sit around us."

"Anyway- " Charlie was cut off when The Twins decided to sit in front of them with stupid grins on their faces.

"What are you two grinning about?" Ainsley asked.

"Why, don't you like it when we smile, yeah Holman?" George asked as he nudged Ainsley, his grin growing as the brown-haired boy became more frustrated.

"No, I hate it when you smile," Ainsley replied.

"Rude."

"What are you two doing here, boys?" Charlie asked as she placed some of the shepherd's pie on her plate and poured a glass of pumpkin juice for herself.

"Just saying hello-" Fred started.

"To our favourite Ravenclaw's." George ended.

"We literally are the only Ravenclaw's you know," Ainsley said as he pointed his fork at the boys, Charlie nodded as she took a big bite of her pie.

"You are so lucky." The Twins said simultaneously.

"Unlucky perhaps." Ainsley breathed under his breath. The Twins irritated him till no end but something about them intrigued him, why were they interested in Charlie and why were they harassing him.

"What was that?" George asked narrowing his eyes.

"Nothing."

"Students to your respective dormitories, NOW." Professor McGonagall said as she instructed the prefects to guide the students to the dorms, there was panic in her voice which alarmed the students in the hall as they knew Professor McGonagall handled every situation calmly and now that she panicked, something was wrong, very wrong.

As Penelope Clearwater brought the younger students to the Ravenclaw Tower she was asked so many questions regarding why they were sent so early to the tower and the fifth years were even complaining about how they wanted to study for their OWLS.

"Quiet everybody, no one is to get out of the tower, do I make myself clear?" Penelope said to which she didn't get much response except for a few who agreed.

"DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?" The second time seemed to work it's magic as everybody answered with a yes.

Charlie and Ainsley weren't worried too much about what was happening, it must be something related to The Harry Potter as they made their way over to the more secluded and quiet corner of the Ravenclaw Tower. The Ravenclaws were much noisier than any other house despite the popular belief that the Ravenclaw's were quiet.

"Why do you think the Weasley's keep talking to us?" Ainsley asked Charlie, 'They irritate me so much."

"Oh come on, they aren't that bad."

"Oh yes, they are-"

"Just stop okay, I have something which you need to try."

"Come on, not today, I am tired."

"Please, pretty please."

"Ok-" Ainsley hadn't even said the full word when Charlie ran up the girl's dorm and it took only a blink of an eye for her to come back down.

"What are those?"

"They are candies which change according to the eater's mood. So what are you feeling right now?" Charlie asked, curiousness dripping in her tone.

"I am confused right now, I guess."

"So you will taste something in between spicy, sour and sweet," Charlie said as she handed him a piece which the boy took before looking curiously at it and popping it in his mouth, it seemed like hours as he chewed the candy.

"So, does it work?"