82

Fred had been strong for his mom and his siblings, he hasn't even cried in front of George and honestly it was eating him alive, he felt as if he was suffocating after the visit to St. Mungos, where his dad was being kept. Last night had been tough on him and he felt terrible for lashing out at Sirius who, now that he thought about it, was just as vulnerable as they were. Not having the power to do anything on his own and having someone else determine what you can or can't do.

"I'll apologize later," Fred whispered to himself as he put his face in his hands and took a deep breath. He sat there for a few minutes before hearing a knock on his door, his eyebrows scrunched, it was late and everyone had their dinner and was off to sleep. As the door opened, Fred felt like crying, Charlie was standing on the other side of the door, her breathing a little heavy after climbing the stairs. Without even wasting a moment he marched forward and hugged his girlfriend tightly.

"Oh, Fred, love..." Charlie whispered as she felt Fred's shoulder shaking. He was crying. Charlie closed the door behind her and hugged him back just as tightly. She had never seen him this vulnerable, even when Ginny was dragged to the Chamber of secrets, so she just let him be. All their fights, all their anger towards the other were forgotten as both of them sunk to the floor.

"It's okay, your dad is fine," Charlie whispered as she pulled back. 

"But he was attacked and he–" Fred said as he struggled to catch a breath.

"He is fine, Fred," Charlie said as she held his face in her palms and softly stroked his cheek with her thumbs gently wiping his tears.

"This Order stuff is way more dangerous than I realised," 

"Yeah, maybe that's why there are so hesitent of us joining," she said.

"I was so scared, Charlie, thinking about Dad. You know I hadn't talked to him for months, I didn't reply to his single letter and if–if something would've happened to him... I would've never forgiven myself,"

"But he is fine and we should be grateful for that, maybe it's a great opportunity for you to get closer to your dad," she said as Fred nodded and wiped his face.

"I've decided to be better, to grow up, I don't want our children to grow up in a world with these conditions,"

"They won't, we'll fight even if we have to give up our lives,"

Sirius had to admit that even if the situation wasn't ideal he was glad to have the kids back in the house, it was getting a little too serious and quiet for his liking. He had returned to spending his day wallowing in self-pity and drowsing himself in alcohol which nobody in the Order approved. He had returned to reminiscing about his life prior to Azkaban and honestly, it was exhausting for him, he missed James and he missed Asteria, he missed the old days. 

"Why are you awake?" Sirius looked up to see Thomas standing by the doorway. 

"Can't sleep,"

"That's what it means to be awake," Thomas said as he went to the shelf and pulled two glasses and a bottle of scotch.

"Why are you awake?" Sirius asked Thomas as he accepted the glass of scotch.

"My daughter isn't talking to me and I don't know if it's something I did," 

"Did you do something?"

"Not that I can think of,"

"It must be hard being a single dad," Sirius said as he sipped his scotch.

"It's no bed of roses but I wouldn't change it for the world. Charlie's my world. Her mother...horrible woman,"

"It must have been fun for Charlie as a child, having Willy Wonka as your grandfather,"

"Actually, they didn't meet till her first year at Hogwarts,"

"What!! Why?"

"I had left Thomas Wonka in England and never wanted anything to do with it, my Dad had practically abandoned us after things started going south at the factory. So my mum made the decision and moved us to another country,"

"But he is a good dad,"

"Yeah,"

"I wasn't so lucky,"

"Your parents were they...?"

"Death Eaters...no...my brother, Regulus, was. They supported everything that he did," 

"Must be hard being the different one,"

"That's why I left and never turned back,"

Charlie hadn't realized that she had fallen asleep, she and Fred were sprawled on the floor and she could feel the after-effects of that as her neck was stiff. As she sat up she saw that Fred was also sleeping in a very weird position, so she used the hover charm and used that to move him from the floor to his bed. Just as she had finished putting him on the bed there was a knock on the door, George came in looking tired but still gave her a watery smile. She walked over to the other twin and gave him a tight hug which George reciprocated. They stayed in the hug for quite a while as George refused to leave her.

"Georgie you falling asleep there?" Charlie said after almost 10 mins.

"No, I...needed that," George said as he pulled away and wiped his eyes.

"Bet you wish it'd be Ainsley in my place,"

"No...with Ainsley it's different...you're my best friend...don't tell Lee that, he'll have my head,"

"I won't, don't want to get on his bad side," Charlie said as she chuckled a little before wiping a tear of her own.

"I am glad you came, he's been trying to stay strong for everyone," George said as he nodded towards Fred who was now lightly snoring.

"Yeah...me too. I'll let you sleep, it's been a long day," 

"I love you, Charlie...hope you know that,"

"Love you too George,"

"As a friend...that is,"