Chapter 20: Fragments of Sky Silver: Dawn

Theater, Lower Hall

Before they realized it, they were standing back where it all had started. The only ones conscious were Manaka and Kiritsugu, with Kirei being still out of it.

Manaka: So, you saw what it really is, didn't you?

Kiritsugu didn't respond, instead reaching for his Contender and aiming an Origin Bullet at Kirei, of all people. She shrugged.

Manaka: Oh, well. I already have what I want. 

Kiritsugu: ...You knew what it was all along.

Manaka: So you saw my version. Don't misunderstand, though. The Grail still hasn't granted a wish.

Kiritsugu: What?

Manaka: I forcibly TOOK what I wanted from the Grail, meaning a wish is yet to be granted. It will still manifest if nothing is done about it.

Kiritsugu's eyes narrowed, knowing what he had to do to prevent the corrupted Holy Grail from manifesting. Manaka nodded and turned her back.

Manaka: Goodbye, Kiritsugu Emiya. In the short time that remains to you, I hope you attain some form of salvation, at the very least.

Without another word, she vanished, this being the last time she would cross paths with the Magus Killer.

Just then, Kirei regained his consciousness and tried to stand, but was hindered by the muzzle of Kiritsugu's gun pressing against his back. He understood the situation immediately, and a bitter laugh slipped from his mouth.

Kirei: You are a fool beyond comprehension. Why did you reject it?

Kiritsugu: ...Did it look agreeable to you?

Kirei: You ... you must have arrived here by throwing everything away, by sacrificing everything! You did all that to achieve this; how could you just make it worthless now?!

Kiritsugu: The things that must be sacrificed for it are more severe than the things it can bring about. That's all there is to it.

Kirei: In that case, yield it to me! Even if it's unnecessary to you, I have a use for it! With that... if that thing is born, it will answer all my doubts! It wishes for its own life, to be born!

Kiritsugu: Yeah, and you're just too much of a fool to understand.

BANG!

With a single faultless round, Kiritsugu shot out Kotomine Kirei's heart. The assassin's icy gaze didn't diminish as he marched off, his purpose clear.

________________________________

Nearby Park

Kariya collapsed on the ground. He remembered this particular park. Sakura and her sister always would come to play here.

He really wished he could see Sakura one last time before this, but he supposed his luck could only go so far.

The Crest Worms inside of him had died, drained by Berserker's rampage. The only thing that kept him moving was the temporal mana source that was sure to run out at any moment.

It was odd. The Grail had once meant everything to Kariya. But by some twisted turn of fate, his wish was already granted. Now it was the least of his worries as he could finally pass away.

But before that, he had one last job to do. 

So, he waited.

Seconds seemed like hours before he heard buzzing. He weakly raised his head to see one of the Blade Wing Worms hovering ahead of him.