AV Chapter 12: Rebellion on a Misty Silver Night

Sicarius City

It had been a disaster from the moment everything started. 

The aerial fortress had crumbled in an instant. The last thing he remembered was a howl of pain from Semiramis before everything turned dark.

Shirou chastised himself. He had been too arrogant to think that the enemy would not have countermeasures, even for events like a floating fortress like the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

Even as an incarnated Servant with enhanced senses, Shirou could only make out a few meters across from him before the darkness covered the environment. 

No light. No sound. Only darkness and silence. The perfect territory for an Assassin Servant.

Having landed on a building, Shirou eyed his unconscious Servant before giving her a sad look.

Shirou: I'm sorry, Semiramis. I was far too confident.

He did not apologize out loud. He was deep into enemy territory and even a grunt could prove fatal in this maddening silence.

Shirou: This is Shirou, speaking to all Servants and Masters. Please report your status at once.

???: Archer of Black, reporting. Mistress Fiore is safe.

Shirou: Splendid. I suspect we were not separated too far from each other. Your eyesight will prove most useful. The rest of you, status report.

???: Yep! Astolfo, the lovable Rider is talking! I'm just peachy!... Uh, but my Master kinda passed out in the process.

Shirou: Where are you, Rider?

Astolfo: Just look up from wherever you are!

Shirou cast his eyes on the night sky and managed to make out a distinct shape with large wings. He supposed the Rider of Black had summoned his/her/their mount.

Shirou: Search for one of our Archers and have them use their eyesight to survey the area.

Astolfo: Okie-dokie!

???: Speakin' of not seein' a damn thing, we Berserkers need some lightin' here! Preferably a GOLDEN one!

???: Uuuuuuh...!

Kintoki: Oh, nevermind! Here's a beacon for you guys!

As if on cue, there was a flash of green lightning not too far away from Shirou's position, finally shedding some much-needed light, albeit a temporal one. 

Shirou: All combatants converge at the location of that beacon. It was a very clever idea, Berserkers.

Frankenstein: Uuh!

Kintoki: Yeah, but we don't have a lot of time here! We gotta get the hell outta dodge and get our stuff straight!

It was true. That beacon had been a double-edged sword. They were in enemy territory, meaning that the enemy had seen the light, giving them a target to strike at.

Two Servants remained silent.

Shirou: Caster, Archer of Red, report your status.

There was silence. 

With the silence, came dread.

______________________________

Amidst the darkness, amidst the deep mist, her instincts were yet to fail her. The enemy approached.

"Artemis, lend me your strength."

There was a shadow, then a blur. The enemy had seemingly vanished. It was not Presence Concealment, but sheer speed.