Chapter 17: Royal Debate

Fuyuki, Old Household, Warehouse

Inside the storage house of a decrepit residence, Kiritsugu Emiya had arrived to see his wife laying down atop of a magic circle. 

Irisviel: I'm not dreaming, aren't I? You really came to see me again...

Kiritsugu: Yes, that's right.

Irisiviel: *smile* Thank you.

Kiritsugu: ...Assassin has perished at the hands of the eighth Master. Three Servants in total have died. When another one meets the same fate...

Irisviel: Then you'll be able to save the world from all of this, won't you?

Kiritsugu: ...Yes.

Irisviel: Then... The final thing I must do is return this to you. From now on, you will be the one who needs Avalon. I'm sure it will aid you.

She held her hands over her abdomen, from which a golden light appeared. The light then materialized as a sheath of a certain sword, shining brightly.

 The light then materialized as a sheath of a certain sword, shining brightly

AVALON: THE EVER-DISTANT UTOPIA

Kiritsugu took the sheath in his hands, briefly marveling at its composition, despite having seen it multiple times before.

Irisviel: You know, I really am happy. To love. To be loved. To have a husband and daughter for nine whole years. You gave me everything. A happiness that was never meant for me.

Kiritsugu: ...I'm sorry. I wanted to show you more of the outside world.

Irisviel: No. It's enough. If there's still any happiness to experience, then give it all to Illya. Make sure to bring her to this country, okay? Show her everything I didn't have the chance to see. The cherry trees. The summer clouds...

Kiritsugu: I will. I'll be back soon.

Irisviel: Yes. Please, be careful... my love.

She drifted into peaceful unconsciousness. Kiritsugu took a minute to simply hold her hands in silence before exiting the room.

He opened the door to the outside... and was greeted by a guest.

(Y/N): WHAT HO YOU LOT!

Kiritsugu's first reaction upon seeing the Foreigner Servant grinning from a few feet from him was to pull out his Calico and unleash a storm of bullets. It was out of mere instinct.

He wasn't surprised when the bullets merely ricocheted off the teenager. 

(Y/N): *sarcastically* Ah, yes, the good ol' "Riddle teenagers with bullet holes tactic". A classic, really. 

Kiritsugu's second reaction was to confirm his assistant's position. Maiya was still on the rooftop taking surveillance and hadn't fired a single shot, so she knew she was out of her depth. She was smart.