SN Chapter 19: Ideal and The Real

Earlier, Shinto District

The moon was distant. The clouds had cleared and the darkness had a dim blue glow. 

Daybreak wasn't too far away. This was the night where it all would end.

Taking a separate path from Ryuudou Temple and the church, a third party in the form of Shirou Emiya and Saber walked cautiously through the night.

There had been a colossal spike in mana not too long ago. Since the city wasn't reduced to rubble, the Foreigner was still yet to start his battle. 

There was no time to dwell on that. Everyone had a part to play, and it had to be done fast.

Shirou, in particular, was growing increasingly anxious. As they neared their destination, the mana was growing increasingly dense. What was worse, it was at the last place he wanted to be.

Fuyuki Central Park, once the hell where Shirou had "died" and been reborn. 

It surely was some kind of twisted joke that the Holy Grail - the exact cause of that cataclysm - would manifest in the exact same place a decade later.

Saber: Shirou, this is...

Shirou: Yeah. This is just like 10 years ago...

With the abundance of mana in the air, the Holy Grail's summoning had already begun or was already over. Either way, things were looking grim.

Shirou: Saber, we have to stop this, no matter what. If you get the chance to destroy it, don't hesitate, even if it means it'll kill me.

Saber: ...I understand.

He had been stressing over this so much that he didn't notice the incredibly conflicted look Saber shot at him along with her extreme hesitation in obeying his orders.

There was nothing left to be said now.

With each step closer to the park, the air got denser. That desolate place was approaching. This was the end.

No matter the outcome of this night, it was inevitable that Saber would disappear.

It would be a lie to say he was entirely ready to lose her. Even if he only knew her from a few days ago, and even if he knew their time together was short.

If he turned back, then maybe he could find a way to be with her, even for a little longer...

But that wouldn't sit right with him. That wouldn't sit right with Saber either.

The Holy Grail - and that hell from 10 years ago - had to be destroyed. Shirou refused to let something like that happen ever again.

A true hero walked their path without a single regret. He would do the same from now on.

Red light filled the area. The stagnant air was filled with the presence of death. Black darkness was oozing in the bright red, spreading in the form of an oil-like mud that strangely didn't kill anything it touched.

This mud was a curse. It only reacted to the human mind and could only swallow human bodies.

And at the center, there it was. A void was created in the air and the heart of a girl was presented as a sacrifice atop a sea of black mud.

It was exactly as it happened 10 years ago.

Before Shirou's mind could go over the limit, he stopped himself to glare at the enemy - the man responsible for all of this - standing right in front of the void.

Kirei: Welcome, Shirou Emiya. I see you were confident enough to come alone.

The man opened his arms and smiled sarcastically. Shirou could see Saber gripping her invisible weapon with a vice-like grip as she stared at the corrupt grail in horror.