Chapter 13: Ashen Light

The Next Morning, Einzbern Castle

When Irisviel woke up to a beautiful sunrise, she would have usually felt joy in seeing such a fascinating sight. 

However, all she felt now was dread.

She and Maiya had heard yesterday's conversation, and she could barely believe it herself even at this point. 

If everything was true, then the world that Kiritsugu fought so hard for and sacrificed everything to save would end today.

She exited a door from a hallway to further appreciate the sight. Her husband was already on the balcony, gazing at the rising sun. He always woke up early.

Irisviel: Kiritsugu?

Kiritsugu: ...This might be the last sunrise we'll ever see.

She nodded wordlessly as she hugged him from behind. The man was doing his best not to break his composure.

Kiritsugu: I... I want to deny all of this, but I can't. I still can't believe that the world might be ending because of a little girl that summoned... whatever he is.

Irisviel: I feel the same way.

Kiritsugu: I couldn't sleep yesterday. I only thought about Illya. It's too late to even return and spend our lasts moments together.

Irisviel: ...Yes.

Kiritsugu: ...Maybe this was all for nothing. Maybe the world is fated to end after all.

Irisviel: ...I know that I'm not the best at this, and I know I'm the least suited to even lecture you, but still, we can't accept this. I'm the best example of that. I was fated to be an emotionless puppet for the Grail, and yet you saved me and made me see the beauty in life, especially Illya. 

Kiritsugu: I know! But what am I supposed to do against something like this?!

Irisviel: You're not alone. You don't have to do everything yourself. If you don't trust yourself, if you don't trust me, then trust Saber. Your greatest wish is to save the world... but just this once, look at the sunrise, and fight. Fight and give Illya another sunrise like this one.

He fell silent, but Irisviel knew what his answer was. Kiritsugu Emiya wanted to be a hero of justice, sacrificing everything, even himself, to save the world.

Now was the time to prove that resolve.

____________________________

Fuyuki Church

Kirei Kotomine, although not exactly pleased to see the plan completely derailed, wasn't entirely opposed to this development either.

How odd. The notion of being recruited to save the world itself was beyond his wildest fantasies.

Perhaps if he participated, he would be closer to the answer he sought. Perhaps he would finally find a sense of purpose.

His only inconvenience was working alongside Kiritsugu Emiya and the eighth Master, simply known as Manaka.

He could not understand the former's existence. The man had everything, be it material or emotional, and he was... sacrificing it all away. And for what? The Magus Killer was a broken man, just like Kirei himself. 

The latter, however, irked Kirei. Perhaps further than Emiya. The girl didn't even try to hide the fact that she was a hollow being masquerading as a human. But when her Servant was near, she was, for lack of a better word, alive.

She harbored feelings for someone close to her, something that he couldn't have done. Claudia must have been frowning at him from the afterlife at that very moment.