I'll meet you in the woods (ScotIre Middle Ages AU)

(based on a forbid romance and the accusation of heresy during the Middle Ages :v. Slight mention of executions, but nothing too descriptive.)

Scotland's POV

He ran silently through the forest, trying his best to avoid the fallen trees and try weak branches. The cold fog only allowed him to look two meters in front of him and the full moon was his only source of light, after all it could be dangerous to bring a gas lantern, but he knew pretty well the path. When he came across a little wooden cottage, he stopped running and walked to the door, knocking five times with an specific rhythm. The door opened just a crack, and when the person inside took a good look at him, it opened completely.

"You came!" The other country said excitedly, soon jumping to give him a hug.

"Aye! You're cold! Let me take this." Said the male quickly taking his coat and a cape and letting them next to the fireplace to dry.

"I missed you"

"Me too"

They looked at each other, all the love in the world in their eyes.

"How have you been Ire"

The other looked down.

"It's quite boring, and kind of scary some times, but is for the best right?"

It was right.

When England had found out that he had been meeting with Ireland for some time, he got mad. Really mad.

The country with an orange and green flag was considered an enemy in the moment he scaped what England called 'home'. He had 'adopted' them when they were orphan teens, and force?d them to do as he wished, being more his servants than his family. When Ireland had scaped the enormous house, England had declared that he was 'persona non grata' and had forbid them to see him. But for that time, they were already a couple.

When England found out, he had started to spread rumors about Ire being an heretic, making witchcraft and all kind of nonsense. Scotland had knew immediately what was his plan. Soon, the people of the village would start to get suspicious, every little bad thing that came upon them would be blamed on Ireland, until something so bad happened, that they would ask for his public execution.

The thought of his love hanging from a tree was enough to cause him nightmares.

At the end they had decided that Ire had to run away. They had started to build a little wooden cottage in the middle of the forest, relying on the superstitious attitude of the village people, they had entered the woods filled with fear and determination. Just to make sure, they had ask for permission to build to the forest and had followed all the rituals recommended to avoid the rage of any creature.

After they had finished, they had made the little cottage their home, making a garden, bringing furniture and putting little ornaments here and there. And now, after two years of hard work, it was a safe piece of earth, just for the two of them.

Ireland sat with him in front of the fire, lying his head on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry I can't keep you company everyday"

"Scot, it's ok, this isn't you fault. Besides, I just need time to completely adjust. We'll be fine"

Scotland looked at his lover's face. He felt guilty. He could roam trough the town, go to the market, hell he could even go hunting, but Ireland was trapped inside the forest, slowly becoming another mythical creature, another unknown monster to draw alongside the Blemmyae and the Manticores. And it was his fault. He had fell in love without thinking about the consequences.

"Why are you crying dear?"

"Aren't you mad at me?"

"Why should I?"

"For taking your life away, for trapping you in these woods, for making people hate you!"

"Do you mean... For saving my life, for being with me, for loving me? How could I hate for those things?"

The other male gave him a sweet kiss in the forehead.

"I love you"

"I love you

--------------

The next day, before the sun started to rise, Scotland was back in England's house. His heart warm with the memory of last night, and his determination to keep his lover safe, stronger than ever.

As he looked at England he swore to anything above, he would make Ireland happy, no matter what.

--------------

A/N:

Hey!!! I am back!!! I hope you are having a wonderful day uwu...

A little curious fact. Did you know that in the Middle Ages witches weren't really a thing? Heresy on the other hand was the 'thing' at the moment, but some other attitudes that we would find disrespectful were allowed. As crazy as it sounds there were actually festivals for the common people were they would make fun of the high society, the church and the nobles. This celebrations were actually made in the church itself and everyone was aware of that. People would choose a fake pope or king, would put faeces in the incensories and march with masks and costumes. Witches, on the other hand were a thing in the Modern age were the infamous book about how to recognize witches, was written. So next time you hear someone talking about witches being burn in the middle ages, is probably a lie ewe (I found this in the book 'history of ugliness' by Umberto Eco)

Anyway, ( •w•)/Bye~