Mystery (Amerus School AU pt 1)

Russia was a mysterious country.

The way he talked, the way he dressed, the way he kept silent, everything looked strange to the american. In a weird way, Russia was like a mermaid, even if he tried so hard to be invisible. For him, that only added to the attracting aura around him.

America would be ashamed if the other knew how many times he had spent entire classes just looking at him, trying to figure out more about the stranger. He wasn't a stalker... Ok, maybe a little bit. Well, he was just curious by nature. Nobody could blame him! Right?

He had discovered little things as the time went by, things he knew were a secret for the rest of their classmates. After all, Russia didn't show emotions that often.

Russia hated to be called 'a big scary country', he loved flowers and making flower crowns, when he was nervous about a test he liked to eat sunflower seeds to calm himself down, he loved to read dramatic and romantic novels and was pretty good in speed and resistance sports but hated to lift weights. The country actually loved spring days, but was pretty good standing the cold weather, he drank little sips of vodka when he was stressed, he cooked his own lunch and would smile a little everytime his projects were exalted, getting flustered.

It was amazing how everyday he seemed to discover something new about the guy. Sometimes he wondered why the tall country seemed to hide such a beautiful and complex personality behind a fake facade of coldness.

He couldn't understand.

He sighed as he walked through the empty hallways, everyone gone except for those who where in clubs. He had skipped baseball today, wanting to have some little time to breath.

He saw the small school theater was open.

They didn't have any meetings today. Right? Well, better for him, he could sleep behind the last row of seats and walk home after a good nap. He really needed it. He had stayed up late to finish an assignment for today and he could feel his bones and eyes begging for some rest.

He walked inside the big room and put his backpack on the ground using it as a pillow after taking his sunglasses off. It was a matter of minutes for him to fall asleep.

-----------

The sound of classical music made him jump in surprise, awaking him suddenly. He looked around trying to understand where he was, before remembering why he was there.

He rubbed his eyes, preparing himself to talk to the teacher of the drama club, ready for a long lecture about privacy, school rules, etc.

He looked at the stage and had to force himself to close his mouth.

Russia was there, dressed in a wonderful ballet costume, the embroidery and the stones shining beautifully under the lights. The clothes fitted his body perfectly, moving as he moved. The enchanting stranger was now before his eyes, dancing to the music without any effort, his breath calm as he jumped into the air, every move elegant and precise like a gazelle moving gracefully trough the forest.

He looked in awe as the other executed a wonderful piece.

After a few seconds he noticed the other was telling a story.

The clothes, the moves, the music, he watched Russia turning into a white dove, trying desperately to fly, to reach the unreachable sky with his hands, as the earth kept him anchored to earth. He looked the tormented character rip his wings trying to hold the moon between his hands, every jump even more painful to watch, harder to stand, until, with a swift motion, he fell with grace into the ground, far away from the sky he wanted so heavily to become his.

The music stoped and Russia got up, walking towards a water bottle, finally releasing a trail of tired gasps and drying the sweat from his face with a towel.

"It was awful" he heard the other murmur.

"It was perfect!" He said loudly before realizing his mistake.

Uh oh.

The other looked at him in shock, his face flushing in embarrassment, his eyes filling with tears of shame as he walked back.

"Y-you, Ho-how, d-did yo-you." Russia stuttered trying to hide himself behind the red curtains.

America watched in horror as the other started wabbling, like he was about to pass out. 'A panic attack.' he told himself recognizing the symptoms clearly.

He ran carefully towards the other, murmuring reassuring words and taking his hands away from his face, making him sit on a chair.

"Hey, hey, look at me. It's ok. Breathe with me. Inhale... Exhale... That's right. Inhale... Exhale... You're doing it great!"

After some minutes the other calmed down enough to talk to him.

"How much... did you see?"

"Well... I was here the entire time, but I was just sleep-"

"No, no, no, no, no..."

"Why are you so-"

"Please don't tell anybody!! I beg you. I'll do anything... Just... Please"

He looked troubled as the other started crying.

"Why would you be ashamed of that? It was fantastic!!! I've never seen something like that before!!!"

"Do you... Think is cool?"

"Who wouldn't? I was in trance watching you!"

The other blushed, before looking down.

"You are the first one to tell me that. The last people who saw me..."

"What happened?"

"I... I don't want to talk about it."

"Psss, whatever they said is a lie. That was amazing!!! Are you a professional dancer or something?"

"My dad used to be... Before he passed away..."

"I'm sorry..."

"It happened some time ago..."

"Did he teach you that?"

"Yeah, that was his last piece before... He did what he did..."

Silence filled the air as the russian stared into nothing, probably lost in memory. America decided to talk in a whisper, holding his hand softly in case the other wasn't comfortable with it.

"I bet your father is proud of you... You were amazing there. I mean it."

Russia smiled to him, his cheeks tinting red.

"Thank you... Ummmm... Oh! We are in the same classroom... What's your name?"

"America"

"I'm Russia"

The two of them smiled to each other.

-----------------

After some time talking and joking, they exchanged numbers.

He waited until Russia changed clothes and then they walked together until they had to part ways.

America smiled as he waved goodbye. He was happy to know he could be friends with the mysterious guy. Well... After today he could say they weren't total strangers anymore. And he had the feeling the other would become more than a mystery to solve for him.

-----------

A/N:
After my last Amerus oneshot I had to make something light and cute, so here we are! What's this? No idea. A mix between a school AU, america being kind of creepy, russia dancing ballet and two future lovebirds uwu. I'll do a second part from Russia's perspective ewe just wait for it. (I'm talking as if someone would read this Jajajjaj)

Anyway, I hope you have a fantastic day!

(づ ̄ W ̄)づ~Bye!