Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Quinn POV

I spent the rest of the day with my dad talking strategy and reminiscing. We talked about mom and how much we missed her. We also went over that new move that Reggie taught me. Dad still hadn't gotten over the fact that his right hand man and best friend went behind his back on that one.

After a late dinner of pizza and junk food followed by enormous ice cream sundaes, I decided to call it a night. I gave my dad a quick kiss on the cheek and he gave me a big hug in return.

"Goodnight Quinny. Sleep tight. Sleep in tomorrow and I'll fix you up your favorite breakfast," he told me in a soft voice.

I knew what he was going to make. Chocolate chip pancakes and bacon with a strawberry banana smoothie. I could practically taste it already. Whenever my dad cooks pancakes, he always makes them in crazy shapes that make me laugh. I honestly think he does it just because he knows it'll make me smile. He really is the best dad out there.

I slowly climbed the stairs in my food coma induced state. I was surely going to sleep well tonight. After quickly washing my face and brushing my teeth, I threw on my pajama shorts and camisole and jumped onto the soft bed.

Now that it was nighttime, I could hear the new noises that come out in the dark from my open window. There were crickets, frogs, an occasional bat flying through the trees, and the soft padding of the night patrol walking their rounds. I fell into a deep sleep within minutes.

The next morning I woke refreshed. As my dad had instructed, I slept in. The sun had long since risen and I couldn't remember the last time I'd slept this late. I stretched my arms and wiggled my toes. I abruptly stopped, thinking that this might have been my last night sleeping in my bed or my room. Before that thought was able to fully settle in, I heard a soft knock at my door.

"Come in," I called sitting up in bed. Dad entered with a heaping tray of pancakes.

"Hey sweetie, did I wake you?"

"Nah, I woke up just before you got here. Can't remember the last time I slept in like that," I replied.

"Something you should have done more often then. You look like you're finally recovered from yesterday's training," he joked.

"I look better than you do, old man," I retorted.

He shot me a look that said "watch it" as he set the tray on my bedside table and pulled up a chair for himself.

"Hope you don't mind. I thought I'd sneak a few pancakes for myself. It's not every day my baby girl turns eighteen you know."

I'd completely let my birthday slip my mind. With all the craziness of school and training yesterday or thinking about the upcoming ball, it wasn't necessarily the top priority for me. It really should have been though since I'll finally get my wolf tonight.

I gave my dad a huge smile and swung my legs over the side of the bed to dig in. After finishing the entire plate of pancakes, a whole pound of bacon, and each of our smoothies, dad left to get some training done for whatever the alpha has going on.

I got out of bed and went to look in the mirror. Looking at myself I checked to see if I was any different. Eighteen...it felt old, but I knew it wasn't. In werewolf society you're officially an adult at eighteen. I still had my baby face and chubby cheeks. I wasn't going to get any taller. I was already strong and filled out. I guess this was as good as it was going to get.

Just as I was having that thought, the door to my room burst open.

"Sweet mother of the moon what is going on??" I yelled at the intruder.

I should have known...Suze. She came into my room with a huge grin and an even bigger bag. This wasn't good.

"Suze...what's in the bag?" I asked, knowing I didn't want to know the answer.

"You didn't let me take you to the spa yesterday so today I'm bringing the spa to you! Go brush your teeth because we have a lot of work to do if we're going to make it to the ball on time."

I looked at the clock. "Suze it's ten thirty in the morning! The ball starts at six and it's only an hour drive away. What are you planning to do that could possibly take over six hours??" I cried.

"Oh sweet sweet Quinn. You are so delusional. I tried to come in here hours ago but your dad gave me strict orders to let you sleep. You're getting the short version of what I had planned for you. Now move!"

And with that, my day of beauty torture began.