Chapter 97

Chapter 97

Liam POV

I remember pain. And darkness. I couldn't remember anything else though.

I tried to force myself to open my eyes but it was like they were glued shut. I heaved a sigh, or at least tried to. My body just isn't responding to my brain.

I tried to listen for any sounds but it was like my ears weren't working. The lack of my senses was unnerving.

I focused all my strength on trying to hear what's going on around me and suddenly it all hit me like a wave. When the buzzing died down, I could hear beeping beside me. What in goddess's name is that noise?

I heard a soft breathing sound on the other side of me as well. It sounds like someone is sleeping beside me. Maybe it's Quinn. I tried my best to reach out for her, but it was no use. I was lucky enough that I could even control one part of my body.

I tried to listen even harder when I started to hear voices. They were far away, maybe outside the room I'm in. I strained to make out what they were saying.

"He's healing very quickly for what he's been through," one voice said.

"It's because of his mate," the other added. "Their mate bond, although new, is strong. I've never seen anything like it before. It's almost like her touch is healing. I know it helps to have your mate beside you when injured, but this is something else. His injuries are almost completely gone!"

I wonder who they're talking about. I hope no one I care about was injured, but I'm glad they're healing well and quickly.

Suddenly I heard footsteps rapidly approaching. I tensed up. Was this an attack?

"Where is she?" a frantic voice called out. I recognized that voice.

"Who are you looking for?" one of the previous voices responded.

"My daughter, Quinn!" Darrell responded.

"She's here with me," I wanted to call out, but it was no use.

"She's with the prince in the royal hospital wing," the voice responded.

Hospital wing? I thought. Why am I in the hospital wing? Is Quinn okay? Am I okay? Is it me they were talking about?

Suddenly I heard the door open and soft footsteps approached my bed.

"Oh thank the goddess," Darrell sobbed. "I was so worried."

"Let them rest, Darrell," I heard Cora say.

"Are they both alright?" Darrell asked the voice, who I'm now assuming is the nurse.

"Quinn didn't need any medical interventions aside from some rest. She refused any medical treatment as it is."

I wanted to growl at that but my wolf wasn't responding at the moment.

"She's been here with the prince for about an hour now. The prince is lucky to have her. She carried him back after he was injured and if she'd been even a moment later, I just don't want to think about what could have happened. He's alive because of her strength, bravery, and quick thinking."

"Will he be alright?" Cora asked.

"He's healing remarkably well for such a grave injury. His aorta was partially severed by the knife and he lost a lot of blood. Although he still has some healing to do internally, his external injuries are almost completely gone. We think it's because of the mate bond. It's just so strong that Quinn is helping to heal him."

I heard something shift beside me. "Huh? Did someone say my name?" I heard the most angelic voice say.

Quinn. My mate.

"Oh sweetie," Cora sobbed. "We were so worried about you."

"I'm fine mom. Is Liam okay?"

"He's going to be just fine, sweetheart," Darrell replied. "You saved him."

"No, I think he's the one who saved me," Quinn said through a yawn.

What did she mean by that?

I felt sparks erupt across my hand. I'm starting to get some feeling back. I've missed this feeling, the feeling of my mate's hand in mine. If only I could reach out to touch her. I tried to move my fingers, but nothing worked just yet. This was so frustrating.

"When will he wake up?" Quinn questioned the nurses.

"It shouldn't be long," she replied. "With how well he's healing, I'd say within the hour."

"That's great," Quinn said, though I could hear how tired she was through her voice.

"Why don't we let them rest?" Cora said.

"I think that's for the best," Darrell agreed. "I think we all need some rest after today."

I was thankful that I'd be alone with my mate again even if I couldn't reach out and touch her. Maybe if I just tried a little harder I could lift my finger...

"Liam?!" Quinn cried.

I must have been successful. I focused all my energy on lifting another finger.

"Liam, baby, I'm here."

I could hear the tears in her eyes. Don't cry, my love, I wanted to say but my words just weren't working yet. I wanted to see her beautiful face and wipe away her tears.

I moved all my energy to trying to open my eyes now. I fought hard and was able to pry them open slightly. The room was dark thankfully and I slowly blinked them open. Everything was fuzzy at first, but then I saw her. My love. She's really here with me and she has the widest smile on her face.

I reached my hand up to cup her face.

"I love you," I grunted, though I'm not sure she could even hear my voice.

"Oh Liam," she cried as she threw herself on me.

I winced at the pain in my side, but I would take any level of pain just to have her in my arms.

"I love you so much, Liam. I can't lose you. I need you."

"Lay with me," I said with a bit more volume.

She looked at me hesitantly but did as I asked. She gently placed herself on my uninjured side and settled in against me. I placed a soft kiss on her hair and just reveled in the sparks flowing between our bodies.

Soon enough, I felt myself falling back into darkness. This time, I was happy to fall asleep though because I knew I'd dream of Quinn.