Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Quinn POV

The ride to the ball was relatively pain free. Suze kept the conversation light as she could tell I was still nervous. We pulled into Midnight Pack territory where the ball was being held and slowly drove up the winding path towards the great hall. There was a line of cars and we were about ten cars back from the entrance.

As each car dropped its passengers and drove away, I became more and more anxious. I felt Suze squeeze my hand reassuringly and I looked over to her. She gave me a smile and told me, "Everything is going to be fine Quinn. I promise. I won't let anything bad happen to you."

I trust her. Her eyes lit up at that moment and I looked towards the window. Our car was next in line. I know she's excited. I can do this for her. I put on a big smile and squeezed her hand back. She took out a compact from her purse and checked her makeup one last time. Deciding it was fine, she swiftly closed it and stuffed it back in her bag.

"Ready?" she asked.

"Ready," I answered.

Before I'd finished answering her, two guards opened the doors to our car. I took a deep breath and slowly stepped out. It was a warm night with a soft breeze. Such beautiful weather to be stuck inside at a ball. Maybe I'll be able to sneak out at some point to enjoy it.

We walked up the marble stairs to the entrance. There were a few people milling about in the entryway. They all generally ignored our presence, which encouraged me to continue walking towards the hall where the ball was being held. We turned the corner and Suze gasped when she saw the grandness of the party. There were hundreds of wolves gathered in the ballroom. Some enjoying the hors d'oeuvres that were set out, others drinking the seemingly never-ending glasses of champagne, and even more just chatting amongst themselves. It was almost six o'clock so the music should be starting soon.

Suze and I entered the ballroom and were immediately handed champagne. We gladly took it and continued into the room. I took a greedy gulp of the drink hoping it would do something to calm my nerves. I knew it wouldn't though as it takes a large amount of much stronger alcohol to have any sort of effect on a werewolf.

I think Suze was a bit upset that our entrance had gone unnoticed by those around us. I figured now would be a good time to make some rounds for her sake. I want her to be happy almost as much as I fear finding my mate.

"Let's have a look around," I encouraged.

"Yeah? Are you sure Quinn? I don't want to make you uncomfortable," she responded.

"Of course, Suze. What fun is a party when we just stand off in the corner? Let's go have some fun!" I smiled at her as I said these last words.

At that moment the music started and you could feel the people in the room start to relax and enjoy themselves more. We first headed towards the snack table. Along the way a few guys made attempts to catch our attention but we kept our heads high and continued on our path. No need to be distracted by wolves who aren't our mates. How would they feel if they saw us flirting with another wolf the moment they laid eyes on us? That is definitely not the first impression we want to make.

Suze took a couple light snacks to calm her nerves. I'd snuck the leftover pizza before leaving so I wasn't quite as hungry. I knew once I'd arrived I wouldn't be able to eat due to my nerves.

As we stood next to the food, we spotted a familiar face across the crowd.

"Damon!" Suze called out.

The boy turned his head and started making his way over.

"Suzie! Quinn! I didn't know if I'd see you tonight!" he commented.

"Of course, Damon. You think I'd miss any opportunity to find my mate?" Suze joked.

"Absolutely not. I know you well enough to know you'll jump at any opportunity you get. Still have that dream board with all the traits of a perfect mate?" Damon waggled his eyebrows.

With that comment, Suze lit up bright red. "How do you know about that?" She looked at me for answers but I put up my hands in surrender.

"Wasn't me," I admitted.

Damon chuckled, "Calm down Suzie, I found it of my own accord. Too bad I didn't fit the criteria," he smirked. "And I'm also disappointed to see you aren't my other half, Quinn. We could have been great together."

I smiled politely. It isn't that I don't like Damon. We just aren't as close as he and Suze are. He's the son of the alpha of Crimson Pack and next in line to take over. Crimson Pack is our neighbor to the East, and he's come to our pack many times over the years with his father to learn the ropes of being an alpha. We played together as children and as we grew up, his interests changed some. He never acted on anything but it was still unnerving to know he thought about us that way.

"Care to dance, Suzie?" Damon asked. She looked nervous at first.

"Go on Suze," I encouraged. "One dance won't hurt and it'll settle your nerves some. Think of it as practice."

With that comment I saw Damon wince a little. I think deep down he was still hoping he could win over Suze if she didn't end up finding her mate.

"Okay, one dance," Suze agreed. "Will you be okay Quinny? I don't want to leave you on your own."

"Don't worry about me. I can take care of myself. I might go find the restroom. The only effect I'm getting from this champagne is it's making me have to pee," I admitted as I twirled the empty glass in my hands.

Suze laughed, "Okay, sounds good. Come find me when you're back!" she called as Damon pulled her onto the dance floor.

I sighed as I watched her laugh and smile. Suze always loved to have a good time. She's the life of the party. I'm lucky someone like her was willing to be friends with such a serious person like me.

I made my way back towards the large doors through which we entered. There must be a restroom back this way. I grabbed another glass of champagne as I passed a server. Can't hurt to keep trying, I told myself.

As I walked into the entryway, I saw that it was basically deserted. There were a few servers walking in and out of a room which must be for storing supplies. Apart from that, I was alone. This was the calmest I'd felt all night. It's not that I love to be alone, but all the people and uncertainty surrounding the night was starting to get to me.

I felt a soft breeze behind me and noticed an open door off to the side of the room. I caught the faint smell of roses and thought it must lead to a garden. A new couple must have decided to sneak off to be alone and left the door open.

I made my way towards the door and slowly walked out into the night air. Before me I saw the most beautiful rose garden I had ever seen. There must have been hundreds of plants forming a maze of some sort with a beautiful lit up gazebo at the center. I decided Suze wouldn't miss me too much if I got some fresh air for a bit and made my way onto the path.

I stopped to enjoy the beauty around me until I ran into a couple in a compromising position on a nearby bench. Not wanting to disturb them, I headed towards the gazebo. I could see the whole garden from inside the structure and as expected, it was amazing. I sat on one of the ledges, with my back against a post and took a deep breath.

I started humming to myself and slowly felt a calm come over me. I could stay here for a bit longer and then head back once my head is clear. Suze has Damon and won't be missing me for a while.