Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Quinn POV

I have been waxed, plucked, lotioned, and bathed. I think Suze applied a mask to every inch of my body. I didn't even know hair masks existed. What do they even do?? Suze didn't even give me a break for lunch. She made me eat the sandwiches my brother Charlie delivered while she was plucking my eyebrows. It was darn near impossible and I didn't get nearly enough food to quench my hunger.

As I was slowly sneaking towards the door of my room, Suze exited the bathroom drying her hands.

"Just where do you think you're going? Hm?" she asked with her hands on her hips.

"I'm starving Suze. I just want to go grab some of the leftover pizza from last night. I promise I'll be back in two minutes!" I begged.

"Pizza! Quinn you can't eat greasy food right now. You have a dress to fit into and you don't want to break out from eating junk food. No Quinn, get your butt back in here and sit down so I can work on your hair. We only have two hours left and we both need to be ready in that time."

Exasperated, I sighed and dutifully sat in the provided chair. Ugh, two more hours of this torture. Thankfully at some point Suze would have to leave to get herself ready.

An hour later my hair was falling in soft waves around my shoulders and pinned back on one side with a brilliant clip Suze was letting me borrow. My makeup wasn't too heavy per my request but it really made my blue eyes stand out. I have to give Suze props. She does know me well. I still look like myself but just a bit dolled up.

Suze left the room to get herself ready and I went to my closet to grab my dress. This was the one part of tonight I was really looking forward to. My dress was amazing. It was a deep green color and a silky material. It hugged every inch of my body and flared out as it passed my thighs. When I walked and spun it just flowed in a way that made me feel so confident. There were two thin straps holding it up with small sleeves that hung off my shoulders. It was perfect.

Suze helped me pick it out a few weeks ago and I instantly fell in love. Luckily we're expected to wear the same outfit both days of the ball. They say it's easier for people to identify you that way. I'm not going to complain. This dress is amazing.

After slipping on the dress and twirling in front of the mirror for a few minutes, I slipped on my strappy silver heels and took one final look. I finally felt like I was eighteen. I glanced to the side and saw one of the pictures of my mom tucked into the frame of my mirror. It was her the night of her mating ball. We actually looked so similar. I could feel myself starting to tear up but I knew Suze would kill me if I messed up her handiwork so I held it in.

"I love you, mom," I whispered to the picture. "We'll come for you soon. I just know it."

I blew a kiss towards the photo and went to my dresser to grab my final items. I saw the silver mask that I'd be wearing once I arrived at the ball. They decided it would make things more fun to have the ball be a masquerade this year. I didn't mind of course. It would make it that much harder for my mate to find me. If he really wanted me, I want him to have to work for it. I'm not going to just fall at his feet. I am strong, I have goals, and I can take care of myself.

I stuffed my phone and a tube of lip gloss into the bag and I was ready to go. There was still a half hour before the driver would come pick us up. I knew better than to bother Suze so I made my way downstairs hoping to see my dad one more time before heading out.

As I reached the bottom of the stairs I was surprised to see all three of my brothers in the living room with their mates. Charlie, my youngest brother, lived in the pack house with his mate Denise so I saw him regularly but my oldest brother Oliver lived in a small cottage on pack lands with his mate Lily. Theo, the middle child, chose to move to his mate Nina's pack.

I saw Oliver occasionally around the pack but they've been busy lately with having two pups of their own. Charlie and Denise didn't have any pups as they were recently mated so he was able to spend a bit more time with us. It was Theo who I was really surprised to see. I hadn't seen him in months. His new pack with Nina is on the other side of the country and they had their first pup about four months ago.

I gasped at the sight of them and ran into the closest arms I could find. Theo embraced me and gave me a quick kiss on the top of my head.

"I've missed you, you little troublemaker," he grumbled into my hair.

"Hey! I got into way less trouble than you did, Mr. Pyromaniac!" I retorted.

Theo chuckled. "Yeah, those were the days, weren't they?" he replied with a rueful smile.

Nina gave him a quick smack to the back of the head and then it was her turn to hug me.

"You look so grown up, Quinn. I can't believe you're finally an adult now. I feel like it was just yesterday you were running around pranking all your brothers," she chuckled.

"It was just yesterday." I heard a voice call from the entryway. Dad. He was headed towards us with a tray full of drinks in his hands. I was so happy to see him even if it had only been a few hours. I finished my rounds hugging each of my family members and we sat down and started catching up.

________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you so much for your support and giving my book a chance!  I'm going to do my best to continue updating once a day.  I've steadily been adding chapters so I've got the first 40 written so far.

Thanks again!