Chapter 66

Chapter 66

Liam POV

"So tell me son, what happened while you were away?" my father began as soon as we made it to his office.

I knew he could tell something was off aside from the whole mate thing. "There was an attack on Diamond Crescent yesterday."

"An attack on Diamond Crescent? That's unheard of. They're our strongest pack. No one dares cross their perimeter unless they have a death wish," my father said.

"Exactly," I agreed. "I've seen their warriors and trained with them. They're the best of the best."

"What was the damage?" my father asked.

"No casualties on our side but there were quite a few injuries. Some wolves will probably be out of commission for a week or more with the extent of their injuries."

"And the rogues?" my dad pressed.

"Many were killed, a few were taken for questioning, the others fled," I sighed.

"It just doesn't make sense to me. Why Diamond Crescent? Why now?" my father asked aloud.

I knew the answer but I wasn't sure if I should tell him the real reason behind why they were there because even I didn't fully understand it yet. I knew I had to keep him in the loop though. He is still the king. He has a right to know. We will need him in the end.

"We have some intel after questioning a few of the rogues," I admit hesitantly.

"Well spit it out, boy!" my father commanded.

"We have reason to believe they came to kidnap my mate," I was barely able to choke out the words without shifting in the middle of his office.

"Quinn?" my father asked incredulously. "I'm sure she's a lovely girl, Liam, but why would they want her? There's nothing special about her aside from the fact that she's your mate."

My wolf let out a thunderous growl that silenced my father. "I only wish to be half the wolf that she is," my wolf snarled at him, taking over my body. I was surprised by his outburst and apparently my father was as well. It had been a while since my wolf took over like that.

"Son, calm your wolf," my father scolded. "There is no room for letting our emotions get the best of us here. Please calmly tell me what you know."

I took a deep breath, trying to calm my raging wolf.

'He disrespected mate,' my wolf said.

'He is still our father and our king,' I snarled. 'You are to respect him.'

'I respect no one who disrespects my mate.'

This is unusual for him. He is usually so well mannered and in tune with my emotions. Of course I didn't appreciate my father's words about Quinn but I know how to handle it in a diplomatic manner. It's almost like my wolf is starting to get a mind of his own. I briefly wondered what was causing that but my father cleared his throat.

"Yes," I began. "Upon questioning the rogues, we learned that they are trying to get to Quinn's father, Darrell, through Quinn. They thought by taking her away, it would lower the defenses of Diamond Crescent and they would be able to take one of our strongest packs. They previously tried this same tactic years ago, we think, with Darrel's mate, Quinn's mother. She was taken by rogues twelve years ago. Darrell was able to persevere though and did not waver after the loss of his mate. He is incredibly strong willed to have survived that. It appears these rogues may have done something similar in some of our outlying packs though. When is the last time we've received word from them or paid a visit?"

"I'm not quite sure, son," my father admitted. "Do you really believe some of our packs could have been infiltrated without us knowing?"

"I'm not sure but I have a bad feeling it just may be true," I said solemnly.

"Well this is bigger than I anticipated," my father sighed. "I apologize but I think we're going to be holed up in here all day. Cancel any plans with your mates, boys. I think this is the start of a war."

My wolf growled lowly in my mind. He was certainly unhappy about cancelling plans with our mate. Our bond was growing stronger every day and simply being away from her for a few hours was torture. I think we both knew though that this was necessary.

In the end, this was all to keep Quinn safe. If those wolves have plans to kidnap her or take over Diamond Crescent, then her life is at risk and I will stop at absolutely nothing to keep my love safe.

________________________________________________________________________________

That feeling when you go to post the chapter and realize you have two chapters numbered 66...crisis averted, all future chapters were relabeled haha