Chapter 78

Chapter 78

Quinn POV

As we walked through the elaborate base, I could tell we were getting close to the prison hold. Nothing was white and bright here. The walls were concrete and the floors were dirty. The lighting wasn't as good and I could tell things just weren't well taken care of down here.

The guard paused before a set of heavy metal doors. "I'll secure the area before you enter, your highness."

"There's no need," I stated matter of factly.

"I insist, your highness. We don't know exactly who is in there," he retorted.

"I'm perfectly capable of handling myself," I replied. "You'll find out soon enough."

With that, I gave him a light tap on the chest before pushing my way through the doors. It was darker in the room so it took a few seconds to adjust to the change. What I expected to see was a dingy room with chains everywhere but I was surprised to see something completely different. On the other side of the cell doors, there looked to be a whole little civilization.

There was a large living area with plenty of seating as well as a kitchen towards the back and what appeared to be a hallway I assumed led to rooms on the other side. Obviously the living conditions weren't great but knowing this was where my mom might have been all this time helped a bit. At least she had food and a place to sleep hopefully.

The cell doors were open so I hesitantly stepped inside. Liam's guard begrudgingly followed behind me, his eyes sweeping the area for danger. At least he's learned to listen already.

I looked around the living room trying to spot the people I came here for. I recognized warriors from my pack tending to the wounded prisoners but my parents were nowhere in sight.

Suddenly I caught sight of them walking out of the hallway I presumed led to the sleeping quarters. There was my dad having an intense conversation with my mom. My mom. After all these years there she was standing in front of me. She looked tired but physically okay.

I stopped myself from running and throwing myself into her arms. Only barely though. I closed the distance between us and had my arms wrapped around both of them within seconds.

My father hugged me back instantly but I could feel my mom hesitate. At first I was hurt by her lack of affection but then I realized it's been twelve years since she last saw me. I'm practically a stranger to her. She may not recognize me.

Just as I was about to pull away I heard her voice. "Quinn?" she asked hesitantly and I pulled away to look her in the eyes.

Just hearing her voice for the first time in over a decade had tears flowing freely down my face. I tried to speak but no sound came out so I just nodded, letting her know it's me.

"Oh my baby!" she cried as her eyes filled with tears as well. "You've grown so much. I've missed you my darling girl."

I hugged her tighter and placed my head on her shoulder, taking in her comforting scent. "I've missed you too mom," I mumbled into her shirt. "More than you'll ever know."

I felt her hand move as she rubbed my back soothingly like she used to do when I was a pup and had trouble sleeping. This just caused me to cry even harder. All these memories were coming back just from her touch and scent.

"I'm so glad you're okay, mom," I gasped out between sobs. "We searched for you. Dad looked all the time but we never found anything. We never gave up hope though. We'd never give up on you."

I felt her pull me in tighter with both arms now. My dad was giving us a moment, though I'm sure it's hard after just being reunited with his mate.

"Quinn, my darling, your father told me how brave you've been and how capable you've become. I am so proud of you. And I hear you have a mate? But I see you don't bear his mark."

I flinched when she mentioned that. It's still a bit of a sore subject for my wolf and I.

This is when my dad cut in, "What do you mean no mark? You had Liam's mark on you just this morning when you ran off. Marks don't just go away Quinny."

He moved my hair aside and studied me with great curiosity. He even went so far as to sniff my neck to see if Liam's scent was still mixed with mine.

"I've never heard of anything like this happening before," he continued. "So very strange. We can talk more about it later though. I'd like to get your mother out of here as soon as possible. It's been too long since she's been home and gotten a decent meal with her family."

I reluctantly pulled away from my mom to allow her to leave. I didn't want to be selfish and keep her from her mate and freedom. I'm trying to be less selfish in all areas of my life.

"Yes, darling," my mom agreed. "We have so much to discuss. I'd love to meet your mate soon. He sounds lovely. I do have to check on everyone before we leave though. Many of the others have not fared as well as I have unfortunately. They're going to need some care and attention over the next few weeks or months."

My dad nodded solemnly in agreement. "We will take them back to Diamond Crescent with us so they can recuperate. It'll fill up our hospital but it's worth it to give these people what they deserve after such a long time in this goddess forsaken place."

"That won't be necessary," I heard a voice say from behind me. "They'll be coming with me."

________________________________________________________________________________

I'm going to be at a wedding tomorrow (Halloween costume wedding.  Super fun!) so if I don't update before I leave, I'll update twice on Sunday for you all.  I really appreciate the support and hope you enjoy the story!