Chapter 96

Chapter 96

Quinn POV

Time passed by slowly. I was seated in a chair in the hospital beside King Silas and Queen Genevieve.

We all were silent as we took in everything that happened over the past few hours. The rogue army attacked the castle, but the royal army was ready. A few lives were lost in the battle, but they were able to defeat the rogues.

My dad, Ethan, Suze, and my mom were able to track down Seth and knock him unconscious and bring him back to the castle to answer for his treason. They were on their way back now. While walking though, they came across the bodies of the warriors Liam had originally sent with me to the summer house. I don't know how Seth managed that but it was more lives lost for his stupid revolution.

I started seething in anger when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up to see Queen Genevieve giving me a knowing look. "Calm yourself, dear," she attempted to soothe me. "No use getting yourself worked up. What's happened has happened and we need to live in the moment now."

She was right. I needed to focus on the present.

As we waited to hear news on Liam's condition, I went through everything I know so far. I know Seth will be punished for his wrongdoings. I know the warriors are returning power to the packs whose loved ones were kidnapped. I know my family is safe. I know my mate is not...

At that moment a young nurse stepped into the waiting room. She looked haggard but had a small smile on her face.

We all sat up and listened for what she had to tell us.

"He'll live," she stated.

We all heaved a sigh of relief.

"He lost a lot of blood, but his healing abilities are great and he's strong. The knife partially severed his aorta but we were able to repair it and stop the bleeding. He's going to be okay."

It was in that moment that I felt the tears start to fall down my face. "When can we see him?" I whimpered through my soft sobs.

"You can each go one at a time as he's still in critical but stable condition."

I nodded to Silas and Genevieve, "You two go first. As long as I know he's okay, I can wait."

Genevieve went to argue, but Silas put a hand on her shoulder stopping her. She nodded and gave me a grateful smile. They both left the room and I was alone again.

This time however, I didn't feel so empty knowing I'd be seeing Liam soon.

Nearly an hour had passed when the nurse came back to tell me it was my turn to see him. I hesitantly got up from the chair and followed her down the stark white hallway. Liam was in the royal hospital suite away from all the other rooms.

She stopped outside the door and slowly opened it for me. "Take as long as you want," she said before turning around and leaving me standing outside the door.

I'd been so impatient to see him for so long and now that I'm here, I can't force myself to walk through the door. I'm scared of seeing my beautiful, strong mate lying in a hospital bed. I'm scared of losing him.

I took a deep breath and set my resolve though. I need to do this. He needs me.

I stepped through the door and silently gasped when I saw him. He was so pale and hooked up to all sorts of machines. He had so many tubes going into different places. One tube supplying him with blood, another with saline, and a third helping him to breathe. Seeing him so weak like this scared me. It reminded me that I could lose him at any time. Life is fleeting like that.

I pulled the chair up beside his bed and reached for his hand. The sparks were there but they felt weaker than usual. His wolf is trying so hard to heal him.

I put my head on top of our intertwined hands as the tears poured down my face and kept saying over and over again, "I love you. I need you. Come back to me." After some time, I felt myself slowly fall into a deep sleep.