Chapter 94

Chapter 94

Liam POV

I howled to let my group know we were getting close. We still hadn't run into the missing warriors yet and I was losing hope that they were even alive at this point.

We were finally closing in and I could practically taste the blood that was about to be shed. I sped ahead of the group as I was impatient to get to my mate. I heard a bark of disapproval behind me but I didn't care to respond. Nothing gets between me and my love.

Minutes later I caught sight of them across a large clearing. They were moving fast in wolf form, but they're not fast enough to outrun me.

I saw Quinn in the middle of the group on the back of a rusty brown wolf. My wolf growled at the thought of her being so close to another male.

I let out another howl letting them know how close I was. I saw Quinn turn around and a smile crept up her face.

'I'm coming,' I mind linked her. 'Don't do anything stupid,' I added just as I saw her roll off the back of the wolf.

It took a second for everyone to stop and I knew that was Quinn's plan to give us a chance to catch up. I just hope she didn't get trampled in the process.

As the wolves turned around, they formed a circle around Quinn to keep us away from her. I saw Seth's wolf come to the front before he shifted back into his human form.

"Prince Liam," he called to me. "I suggest you shift back if you want to keep your mate alive."

I looked through the mass of warriors and saw now that one of them had Quinn in a headlock. Why isn't she fighting back?, I thought. I gave her a quizzical look but she just nodded imperceptibly.

I immediately shifted and faced off with Seth. There was only about twenty feet between us and I could see a cocky glint in his eyes.

"So you've figured it out then, have you," Seth began. "Loyal Seth, the head trainer is truly the defector in the castle."

I growled but he put up a finger to stop me.

"Ah, ah, ah, Princey, I was just getting started."

I heard the thunderous sound of the rest of my group catching up and I put up a hand to stop them from attacking. We were outnumbered more than two to one and I wasn't ready to start a fight just yet. I checked on Quinn and she still seemed calm, so I looked back to Seth.

"I see we brought some friends to die with you. How noble of them to give up their lives for the crown," he spat the last word like it was poison in his mouth. "You see, this has been a long time coming, your highness. And I am not simply the mole in the castle. I am the leader of this revolution, if you will. It's been years in the making and I'm not going to let you or your silly little ragtag group of wolves get in my way."

He started pacing back and forth now as he continued, "I couldn't stand how weak you all are. You have no drive for power or desire for bloodshed. A king and prince as weak as you two don't deserve to rule over anyone. You should rule with an iron fist, not a calming presence. Your kingdom has no respect for you. They do not fear you. But once you're all dead, I will have the power and they will fear me."

He sneered in my direction and I growled in response.

"You have no idea what you're talking about," I snarled. "A king takes care of his people. He doesn't lead through fear, he leads by example. By treating our people well, they treat each other well in turn. We don't need bloodshed, we need peace. And we've had peace aside from the pain and destruction you've caused. How could you do this, Seth? What would your father think? Your grandfather? They served the crown their entire lives and trusted you would do the same."

"They were weak as well!" Seth seethed. "They were the ones with all the strength, all the power, and what did they have to show for it? Nothing. They just sat by and taught weak royal after weak royal to fight so they could sit on their pretty throne and turn the kingdom to ruin. I was not going to stand idly by and do the same as my father. I will not be treated that way!"

"Seth, we thought of you as part of our family. I treated you like the brother I never had," I tried to reason with him.

"You are no family to me! I don't need family when I have an army behind me."

All the warriors cackled behind him and I felt myself tense up.

"And now there will be no royal family. I was planning for you to die at the castle alongside your darling mother and father, but this is even better. I get to kill you with my own two hands. After I take care of your mate that is."

He looked back at the wolves behind him and called the one holding Quinn forward.

"See your mate, weak from the same drugs that kept her mother captive for so many years."

Cora growled behind me and went to step forward but I held up a hand to stop her.

"Oh it seems mommy has a bit of fight left in her after all these years," Seth chuckled. "Mommy's come to see her darling daughter die as well. How sweet."

By now, Cade had reached Seth and he passed her off to him and stepped back. Seth pulled out a blade from his pocket and held it to Quinn's neck.

"No!" I cried as I watched a drop of blood drip down her neck.

"Say goodnight, your highness," Seth sneered as he went to slit the throat of the only woman I'll ever love.

Everything in the next moment happened so fast. I started running towards Seth. Quinn drew her head back and headbutted Seth in the nose. And everyone else jumped into battle.

Quinn swept her leg behind her to knock Seth off his feet as the blood poured out his nose. The knife he once held was cast aside and Quinn quickly jumped on top of Seth and started raining down punches on his face.

"Liam, I've got this," she called to me. "Help the rest."

I turned and saw that everyone was outnumbered three to one and I knew she was right. They needed me.

Begrudgingly I turned towards the battle and joined in with the rest. It was strange to be fighting against my own warriors, but I couldn't think that way. These were no longer protectors of the crown. They were the enemy.

________________________________________________________________________________

It's been a rough year (plus) but  things are getting better.  I'm sorry I ghosted you all and I'm sorry if the ending doesn't live up to expectations.  I did my best.  Thank you all so much for your support.  There's five more chapters and an epilogue after this.