Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Liam POV

Quinn and I were walking back to the pack house now. She wanted to run of course but I convinced her to walk so we could spend a little more time together. It was only a few miles back to the pack house but I could tell it was starting to get to Quinn how long it was taking.

"You want to run, don't you?" I asked, pulling her from her distracted thoughts.

"No, no, this is fine." I could tell she was lying.

"Do you ever sit still?" I questioned, though I'm sure I already knew that answer.

"All the time. I have to sit still in school, at meals, occasionally Suze will force me into a movie night..." she trailed off.

I laughed, "Do you ever sit still by your own choice?"

She looked thoughtful for a moment. "No. I don't think I do. I just love to be doing things all the time. I've been like that for as long as I can remember. I feel like if I'm not doing something, then I'm wasting my time. It drives me nuts. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing though."

I could tell she was mentally drifting away again. I didn't mean to start an introspective assessment of herself. It was still too early in the morning for that.

"Let's run," I said.

"What?" she asked, looking at me like I'd grown two heads.

"Running will make you feel better, right?"

"I guess so," she agreed.

"So let's run. It's probably getting late anyways and you need to be on time for school."

"Ugh, don't remind me," she complained. "I'm so over it already. It's going to be the most pointless week of my life."

I gave her a little shove, "If I have anything to say about it, I'll make sure it's one of the best weeks of your life."

She looked surprised as she gazed into my eyes. I didn't give her more than a second to think before I yelled, "See you at the pack house!" Before taking off as quickly as I could.

It didn't take long for Quinn to be right on my tail. "So not fair!" I heard her call out behind me. She was getting closer. Goddess, this girl could run.

I pressed on further though, not willing to give up just yet. She was right behind me now and I could see the pack house in the distance. Only a little further, I thought.

Once we were only a few hundred feet away, Quinn came up next to me looking relaxed, as if this was a light jog for her. "Shall I let you win, your highness? I'm more than willing to do that to boost your ego a little."

She was mocking me. She could tell I was trying my hardest and this was still child's play for her. I growled, my wolf feeling a bit put off by how easy it was for her to show us up.

I didn't push myself any harder or fall back at all. Quinn and I ended up reaching the steps at the exact same moment.

"How do you do that?" I groaned in frustration.

"I honestly don't know," she replied. "I've always been a bit faster and stronger than everyone else. My endurance is pretty great too. I think part of it is natural and the other part is hard work. I don't think you truly understand how hard I work to be the best version of myself I can be. I wake up early to train, leave school and train, train twice on the weekends, and add a few lifting or sparring sessions in when I can. I don't want to ever be at a disadvantage," she paused momentarily and I could see she was debating what she wanted to say. After a moment she added quietly, "I can't end up like my mother. I have to be strong not only for myself but for everyone I love as well. I need to protect everyone. I never want to go through what I've been through ever again. I can't lose anyone else. I won't."