Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Liam POV

I looked down at my dripping wet suit and then over to the girl who stopped me on my way back to Quinn. She really was quite annoying. Being the prince I couldn't be rude to any of my subjects but she had just possibly ruined things with my mate. I reluctantly handed her my handkerchief and grabbed a few napkins from the table to use on my own soaking front.

How was I going to fix this? I don't even know where she's gone. Then I remembered my guards are still here and have been watching from the perimeter. They'll have eyes on her. I'll give her a couple minutes to calm down before I go to her. I need to make sure I'm ready to face her wrath. She is definitely not someone to reckon with. Not many shewolves would have the guts to throw water in the prince's face. It was refreshing to be treated like an average wolf by her. It made me want her even more.

I was pulled from my thoughts by the shewolf who was carefully dabbing at the few drips on her face with my handkerchief. "Who was that girl? Are you going to go get her? Send her to the dungeons?" she asked, almost looking a bit excited.

This disgusted me with her even more. Why would I send my mate to the dungeons? I made a face and told her to keep the handkerchief. That's the closest she'd get to me ever again.

I mindlinked my guards to let them know to keep that girl away from me. I didn't need her following me around like a puppy all night. Once they agreed, they asked if I wanted to know where Quinn was. Of course I could count on them to keep track of her. I'd have to apologize to them later for my outburst earlier today. I now see that Quinn is not your average shewolf.

I told them to keep eyes on her and that I'd be out soon. She was in the garden again. I should have known. I mindlinked Ethan to let him know what happened. He told me to be careful. Of what, I wasn't really sure.

I made my way to the door I had used last night while searching for Quinn the first time. The air was slightly cooler tonight and I could feel it through my damp dress shirt. I hope Quinn isn't cold, I thought.

I started wandering the maze of a garden, following the same path I'd taken the night before. I spotted my guard a short distance away and knew she had to be close. Quinn was in the gazebo again. She must find comfort here. I wondered briefly if she'd find the gardens at the castle comforting as well. But I reminded myself I wasn't even close to that yet.

I nodded to my guard as I approached the gazebo. He took his cue to give us some space. This would need to be a private conversation between the two of us.

I saw Quinn was in exactly the same spot she had been in the night before. Perched delicately on the railing facing away from the party. Although this time she wasn't singing or swinging her leg. She just sat there staring at the ground. I had done this to her. My heart dropped in my chest knowing I brought her pain instead of happiness.

Her head picked up suddenly as I took my first step into the gazebo. I saw her look around for an exit and she spotted my guards stationed near the edge of the garden.

"Why do these goons keep following me around? I thought Ethan had sent them to watch over Suze?" she asked bitterly.

"Goons?" I chuckled. "I do have to admit, Quinn, they were not just sent for Suze's protection. I sent them for you as well." I knew admitting this might hurt my chances but I needed to be fully transparent in order to gain her trust.

I saw her about to blow up again and tried to stop her. "I'd like to explain if you'd let me. About the 'goons' as you call them and what happened inside as well. May I join you? I'll leave if that is what you wish." I added the last part in hopes she would take it as a peace offering. I was not here to force her to listen. I just wanted a chance to clear the air.