Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Quinn POV

"Quinny!" I heard Suze call from downstairs.

It was five o'clock. Time to head back to Midnight Pack. I have to say I wasn't as wary of the ball tonight as I was yesterday. I was excited to get to know Ethan and make sure he'd take care of my best friend. Maybe I'll take him outside and give him a talking to. I chuckled to myself at the thought.

"What's got you laughing all alone in your room?" I heard a voice ask behind me and I swear I jumped a foot in the air.

"God, Charlie," I gasped, holding my chest. "You scared me half to death."

Charlie chuckled and walked into the room, taking a seat on my bed. "We were starting to think you snuck off to avoid going to the ball so I came up to check on you." He leaned back against my plush headboard. "I wouldn't let Suze come up. I didn't want to see her drag you down here by your toes." The idea of that made me giggle. Suze might be strong but she's got nothing on me. I'm almost half a foot taller than her. Charlie did know how to cheer me up though.

I went and sat next to him on the bed. "Hey Charlie," I started. "Were you nervous for your first mating ball?"

"Terrified," he admitted.

"Why?" I asked him. He'd never told me this before.

"Everyone is, in one way or another, Quinn. Some are nervous they won't find their mate, others are nervous they'll be rejected, and some are just scared of the unknown." I listened to him intently. "I think I know which one of those you are, Quinn." He gave me a knowing look.

Charlie and I have always been incredibly close. He can read me better than anyone else.

"I guess that's it, Charlie but I just think I'll be better off without a mate," I began my rant. "I'm strong and independent. I don't need someone to tell me what to do and make me stay home all day taking care of a house and pups. I wasn't born for that. I was born to make a difference."

"Who's to say you can't have both?" he asked. I looked at him incredulously but he held up a finger telling me to wait. "Quinn, everyone who has met you knows you're special. It doesn't take a genius to see that. Do you think the moon goddess would pair you with someone who couldn't see how amazing you truly are? I think there is someone incredible waiting out there for you and you just need to go find him. It might not be tonight or even the next mating ball but I want you to promise me something." He looked at me, pleading with his eyes for me to agree.

"Okay," I gave in. "What is it?"

"Give your mate a chance." I could feel how much he meant it by the look in his eyes. All of his emotions were on display in this moment. "I truly believe he will help you and you will help him and both of you together can make a difference in our world. Trust me."

I do trust Charlie. He's been there for me my whole life and was my rock after mom was taken from us. I know he wouldn't be saying this unless he truly meant it.

"Okay," I whimpered, trying desperately not to start crying. Then Suze really would kill me for ruining my makeup.

"Okay," Charlie echoed my response.

He stood up abruptly and held out his arms. I closed the distance between us and he wrapped me in a comforting hug. "I'm here for you, Quinn. Always have been, always will be. You can count on me to help you with any problem you have. And I'll make sure your mate knows that too," he said while flexing his biceps. Ah, there's my brother.

I gave him a light punch on the arm and he rubbed it acting hurt. "Ouch, Quinn. You need to lay off the weights for a bit. Maybe I don't need to threaten your mate. You'll do a better job than I ever will." With that I really punched him this time. He deserved it.

While Charlie was recovering his composure, I left the room and headed for the stairs. Our little chat really did help me. The moon goddess isn't known to pair us with someone who wouldn't enhance our positive qualities. I should trust the journey that was set out for me.

When I got to the bottom of the stairs, I saw the two goons were still standing guard by the door. What are they still doing here? I thought to myself, aggravated by their presence. I decided to ignore them though. No use getting worked up about something I had no control over.

Suze looked like she was going to explode. "Quinnn," she whined.

"Suze, you have the rest of your life with Ethan. A few minutes isn't going to hurt you."

She gasped, pretending to be offended. "See if I invite you over to visit once we're settled in."

I flinched at her comment. Right. I'd have to talk to her later about asking Ethan to move to Diamond Crescent with us. That is if I don't find my mate tonight. That could change a few things, I guess.

We said our goodbyes and headed for the door. This really was much easier than it had felt yesterday. I knew I had the power to make my life one worth living and my mate would either join me in that or not.

To my surprise the two goons followed us out to the car. "It's only a few feet, boys," I taunted them. "I think we can handle it ourselves." They made no indication they'd heard my comment.

I looked at the car in front of us and noticed it was different from yesterday. This was a large expensive looking black SUV, not the sedan we'd taken to the ball yesterday.

"Suze," I mused. "Is Ethan some big shot alpha or something?"

"No, he's not an alpha. Why would you think that?" she asked as she bounced towards the door, which goon number one was holding open for her.

"No reason," I commented as I slid in beside her. There's definitely something she isn't telling me.