Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Quinn POV

I woke up feeling like I'd been run over by a truck. On my bedside table was a glass of water and some pills. Dad must have come in and checked on me early this morning. I didn't know what time it was, nor did I care. My night was restless and didn't do much to alleviate any of my stress.

As I did every morning, I decided a run would be the best way to cure any ailments I was suffering from. I changed out of my dress, which almost seemed to be wrinkled beyond repair after wearing it to bed last night. I threw on my spandex and sports bra and went on my way.

My usual energy in the mornings was missing today. I trudged from my room to the top of the stairs and stopped dead in my tracks. There was a flurry of excitement on the floor below. People were running this way and that way carrying all sorts of items. Some were running upstairs and others were going in and out of rooms on the main floor. What was going on? I decided to go investigate.

I cautiously walked down the stairs, careful not to run into any of the busy workers. I saw Luna Isabella directing the workers and hoped she would give me some information.

"Luna," I called out to her. She whipped her head my way and ran to me.

"Oh there you are dear! How did you sleep? Do you need anything? Are you going out?" As she asked the last question I saw her eyes dart around the room like she was looking for someone. Why is everyone acting so weird lately?

"Uh, I was just wondering what's going on. I thought you might be able to fill me in." I asked warily.

"My dear, I thought you knew," she said shocked. "You'd think your own mate would have told you the plans." Upon hearing her mention my mate, I froze.

"Ah yes, must have just slipped my mind after the night I had last night," I lied. "Thank you Luna."

"Quinn!" she called out as I was walking away. "Do take someone with you on your run today. Alpha Tobias was asked to keep you safe until the prince arrives later today. I know you can handle yourself but just humor us please?"

I could see the desperation in her eyes. Why was my mate such an annoying creature? And what did she mean about him arriving later today? I stomped back up the stairs to go find Suze. She would hate it but I was going to take her on my run this morning. I don't want to cause any stress for my alpha or luna. They are so good to all of us.

I knocked on Suze's door and I heard some scuffling and then a loud bang. I went to turn the knob but it was locked. Suze never locks her door. As soon as I realized why her door might be locked, a shirtless Ethan opened the door.

"Oh my goddess," I groaned and covered my eyes, embarrassed to have interrupted whatever was going on in there. I guess this was something I would have to get used to from now on.

"Oh, Quinn, I thought it was you," Ethan said nonchalantly. Apparently he wasn't nearly as embarrassed as I was.

"Yeah, er, hi Ethan," I replied, not meeting his eyes. "I was hoping to have Suze come on a run with me but I guess I'll check back with her later."

"I'll go with you!" Ethan offered cheerfully. "I could use a little exercise. You don't mind Suzie, do you?"

It was then that Suze made her appearance at the door. She was still dressed in her pajamas. I guess Ethan was approved for sleepovers by Reggie. The thought made me chuckle. I can't imagine how that conversation went last night.

"I think it's a fabulous idea," Suze exclaimed. I eyed her suspiciously. I knew she was only saying that because she hated going on runs with me.

"It's settled then," Ethan said. "I'll meet you out front in five!"

"Sounds great," I replied unenthusiastically.

I guess Ethan will have to do as my workout buddy today. I really don't have anything against him. I've forgiven him and Suze for any part they played in the whole Liam situation. They were just doing their best to look out for me. Maybe I could convince Ethan to spar with me later. I'd love to have some new competition. It was hard to get anyone to practice fighting with me here. The guys didn't like when their egos took a blow when they were beat by a shewolf and none of the shewolves would go anywhere near me. I'd sent more than enough pack members to the infirmary to have quite the reputation as a bit of a menace on the training field. Not my fault no one could handle a few rounds with me though.

As I left the hallway and headed back downstairs, it seemed the frenzy that was there only minutes before had calmed down a bit. Luna Isabella really did know how to get things done.

I walked out the front door and took a deep breath of the late morning air. Not nearly as good as it felt before sunrise, but it does the job. I was starting to do my usual stretches when Ethan joined me. "So what's the plan, killer?"

I gave him a weird look. "Is that some kind of a nickname?" I asked.

"I guess," he shrugged. "Seems like it suits you."

I thought about it for a moment. I didn't really mind it. At least it wasn't some cutesy name. "Sounds good," I agreed and left it alone after that. "We're going to start by running a perimeter of the pack in human form. Then we do sprints in the clearing and run obstacles in wolf form. After we finish maybe you'd be down for some sparring. Unless you don't think you can handle that?" I eyed Ethan as I asked the question.

He hesitated slightly. I could tell he was thinking about what Liam would think about us fighting even if it was just for practice. I made a puppy dog face just for good measure and Ethan chuckled. "Fine. But if Liam finds out about it, I'm telling him you attacked me out of nowhere."

"I could make that a reality if we don't get moving, kiddo," I commented.

"Who the heck you calling kiddo? I'm at least three years older than you," he protested.

"Well then start acting like it!" I called out over my shoulder as I made my way towards the pack border. Ethan realized he'd been left behind and sprinted after me. I was gonna work him like a dog today. Gotta have a little fun somehow!