thirty-one

"I swear Sunoo, you better stay put!" Jungwon nagged as he quickly dialled down the police station's hotline.

Sunoo nodded meekly as he continued sobbing helpless tears while clinging onto Jungwon's leg.

Jungwon sighed as he impatiently tapped his foot, waiting for someone at the other end of the ringing line.

"Jungwon, we have to h-help them! I saw Sunhee, she was laying unconsciously on the ground!" Sunoo continued to cry out as he held on tighter to Jungwon's leg.

Jungwon could only hold his head as he felt an incoming migraine from Sunoo's ordeal.

Finally did his anxiousness wear out as soon as he heard someone pick up his call.

★彡

Before the couple could readily respond to the change in the atmosphere, Ni-ki had already knocked the gun out of his father's grasp.

The gun now lay with the younger boy's reach as he quickly picked up before pointing it at the sinister couple.

"You shithea-"

bang!

Ni-ki had pulled the trigger, aimed and shot at his mother's leg, which now bled profusely as a gunshot wound.

His mother screamed in pain as she dropped to the coarse ground, helplessly clutching onto her leg while cursing a string of profanities at Ni-ki.

"Ni-ki put the gun down!" Heeseung pleaded as he ran towards the broken boy.

However, the older boy was only shoved aside by the enraged and armed boy.

"You killed my brother," Ni-ki began as the gun he held remained pointed at his father.

Ni-ki then took a threatening step towards the murderous man who now cowered before him.

"And you killed my girl," Ni-ki choked out as he stared down at the man with frantic eyes.

"Ni-ki stop!" Heeseung pleaded again as he tried holding Ni-ki back.

Ni-ki could only let out a pained chuckle as he pressed the gun against his father's head, his tears trickling down as he looked back at Sunhee.

"You deserve to die," Ni-ki spat out as he pulled the hammer of the gun down.

"Even if you kill me, you're still alone!" His father taunted before letting out a cackle.

Ni-ki bit down on the inside of his cheek, the metallic taste of blood triggering his tastebuds as his index finger lingered on the gun's trigger.

Before the younger boy could pull the trigger, the wailing of police sirens were heard from a distance causing Heeseung to breathe out a sigh of relief.

The couple frantically turned towards each other as the evident red and blue hues of light lit up the dark neighbourhood.

Heeseung slowly lowered Ni-ki's arm down as he took a hold of the gun in the younger boy's grasp.

Ni-ki could only scoff at his parents' useless attempt in escaping despite the amount of police officers that had already swarmed the perimeter.

"Hey, it's over. They're going to be put away for good now," Heeseung softly sniffled as he stood in front of Ni-ki.

Heeseung held the younger boy in his arms under the pouring night sky, caressing the back of Ni-ki's head.

For Ni-ki experienced loss and relief that very night.

"I have to go back hyung, I've caused enough damage here," Ni-ki choked out as he cried into Heeseung's shoulder.

"Ni-ki, none of this was your fault," Heeseung reassured yet Ni-ki shook his head.

"She's gone and it's my fault. Please, bring me back to Japan so you and the rest can live in peace,"

Heeseung felt his heartstrings strain at Ni-ki's request, wishing he could fix the problem just so Ni-ki could finally live a peaceful life.

However, he knew that Ni-ki's mind was already made up and Heeseung had no other choice but to comply.

As Ni-ki mourned for the loss of his soulmate did he not realise he had already healed a part of her that would restore the life briefly lost that gloomy night.