Chapter 25

"Jamie we're up! "

"Coming! " I replied, dabbing a final layer of lipgloss onto  my lips.

Once satisfied with my look, I grabbed the pompoms from the table and dashed towards the door. My steps haltered when I passed the full body length mirror and I got a glimpse of my whole physique.
I peered at my reflection for a good thirty seconds, loving how the uniform fit me well. I had a aura of confidence like never before, and I loved it.

For the past two weeks, I've been a better version of myself that literally took years to develop. I became bold again, commanding any space that I am in, in my own Jamie way. I've never felt this great in years.
People seem to adapt quickly too, seemingly noticed my new way of going about things. I've realized that I receive much respect and receptivity without even trying.

What else could it be but this new found confidence?

Ever since I stood up to that dickhead Ryan, I've never been the same. All I had to do was tap into that inner fortitude, and I'm unstoppable.

However, I've heard rumours that people think I've gone 'rogue' again with my 'meanness'. But it definitely wasn't being mean, I just showed people who I really am and what I really want. They are just intimidated by a little self-affirmation, that's all.

But who am I to stop them? A little fear always keeps people in check.

"Jamie! " Alyssa called again, seemingly annoyed since this was the fifth time she called.

"Coming! " I repeated, using the same word like all those other times.

I ran from the room with a pep in my spirit, something every cheerleader must have of course, but mine was personal. I joined the team on the field, doing herkies and toe touches, cheering along with the crowd as we took position.

I peered over the stands with a huge smile on my face, assessing each face that we'll be performing for. I saw Davion first, already beaming at me with two thumbs up. It was great having the support from him, and not just today but everyday after my break up. But just as I thought about break up, my eyes found his.

Cameron.

My chest tightened at the sight of him looking at me. It's been weeks since I saw him--two to be exact and also two since we talked. Yep, we talked.

After Melody's confession, my mind was at greater ease at the fact that he didn't actually cheat on me. And after Dan's attack that same night, I got a call from Cameron and I couldn't help but answer.

As much as I was still very much pissed at him, something about the crazy events of the day made me know that I needed to answer that call, because I needed him. And even after my great confidence boost over the past weeks, a small but big part of me still felt incomplete.

Because I still do. I still need him.

I offered him a smile and a small wave just before the prompt music began. I took my position, focused and tried to deliver the routine as best as I possibly could.

*Flashback*

"No Alex I'm fine, you and Alyssa don't have to skip date night.... Yes Dan is in police custody. I'm a little shaken up, but I'll be fine okay? Tell Alyssa I love her too; you two have fun now "

I quickly ended the call before he could get in another word as I pushed through the apartment door. I was so exhausted from all the police questioning and the day on a whole that all I brought up with me from the grocery bags was my box of cereal.

I decided against calling Nessa tonight. The last thing I needed was another worrisome person threatening to kill Dan in jail. I would deal with that tomorrow when I'm rested.