Chapter 31

Note: Letters in this chapter are solely from my imagination, hence if it is different from what is real, please overlook it.

Happy reading!

***
Seven Months Later

This was the moment of truth. Inside that inbox was the answer that would change my life forever. I rubbed my sweaty palms against my jeans as I bit my lip in anticipation.

"Go ahead, open it" Cameron urged as my eyes flickered between him and the screen.

"But.." I didn't have an excuse, so I just chewed on my lower lip in a trembling mess.

I took a deep breath before daring myself to open my email inbox. Immediately I was met with ten unread messages, and I scanned the list for the one I was looking forward to the most. However, I decided to go from top to bottom, and so, I opened Stanford University first.

"Dear Ms. Jamie Saunders. Thank you for your application to Stanford University. It is our pleasure to inform you that you have been accepted to pursue a degree in Tourism Management at out prestigious institution!" I squealed as I read over the letter out loud. Cameron mimicked my expression as I dove into his arms.

"Oh my gosh what a way to start  my day" I clapped excitedly as I opened the other, then the other, and my smile never faltered as five out of the eight I've opened so far were acceptance letters.

Finally, my list reached the one that made me gulp in nervousness. "This is it Cam" I voiced as I drove the cursor over the letter. He squeezed my hand as I clicked on the letter from The University of Sydney.

"Dear Ms Jamie Saunders. Thank you for your interest in studying at The university of Sydney. However we regret to inform you that..." I trailed as my voice fell and octave and my heart clenched in hurt. "Your application for this year's academic class was rejected...If in the future...your interest still lies with us...we encourage you to apply again" I ended with a deep sigh as I leaned into Cameron's chest.

"I'm sorry babe. I knew you really wanted to go there" Cameron whispered gently as he kissed my temple and rubbed circles on my shoulder. I simply sighed, not really knowing how to feel.

A part of me was sad, since I wanted to go there. But another part of me was surprisingly relieved that I didn't have to go across the world to study. Everything in life happens for a reason, so I knew I had to accept it, move on and be happy.

"It's okay" I cranked my neck so I could look directly at his face. "I knew it was a long shot, but I'm glad I at least tried...Thank you" I reached up to quickly peck his cheeks, remembering that he was the one who convinced me to apply, and stayed with me until the application was sent.

 I knew that if I didn't at least apply, I'd spend all of my college years wondering what IF I actually applied. So I was grateful for that.

"The good thing is that I have six other colleges to choose from, one being UC Davis--the very one that my love attends" I said as I smiled up at him. "And Alex" I added with a giggle.

"Hhmm sounds like you have a lot of thinking to do my scholar Ruby" I shot him a glare at the ridiculous nickname he gave me ten months ago.

It never ceased to annoy me because the embarrassment of the night still laid strong in my memory, even though it was less uncomfortable and more amusing this time around.

My phone beeping took my attention from my flashback to reality, and I saw that it was my alarm telling me that it was almost noon.

"That's my cue" Cameron mumbled as we shuffled apart. "It's time to go get ready"