Chapter 23

I pulled on the tiny skirt in attempts to give it more length, but it just snapped back up like a window sill.

Feeling utterly flustered and exposed, I rushed to my locker in hopes to get out of the hall fast enough before the morning rush started. I was still adapting to feeling confident in my own skin, and Alyssa's idea of a cheerleading uniform was forcing me to do just that.

The week had been somewhat hectic but also surprisingly productive.

Alyssa has gotten a lot done with the team in just five days, and I've become familiar with the routine and most of the team.

They seemed to be warming up to me, and I noticed that if they were too scared to ask Alyssa something, they would ask me to ask her. It was really hilarious how scary they see her, but I guess that comes with being the 'Queen'.

I've also come to appreciate the friendship that Davion and I had developed.

He has been much more like the person I met when I was first taking the job instead of the jerk I've known for the past year. I also noticed that he hadn't brought up my non-existent love life or confused emotions, making whatever conversation we had very chill and distracting.

As if he had telepathic powers, my phone lit up with a message from him just as I was thinking about him. I slowed my strides to see what he sent me, and what I saw had me bursting out in laughter.

He made a meme from a picture I sent him of Molly and Angela, my kittens, when they were staring at the new litter box I got them as if it was an alien. Davion added words to it saying, 'Why does the human keep stealing our poop with a tiny shovel?'.

It was the cutest and funniest thing I've seen all morning.

My laughter died down as I approached my locker after sending a long 'lol' message back to Davion. I quickly posted it on my instagram story before pushing the phone back in my bag.

I almost walked right passed my locker after being distracted by the phone. I carefully put my combination in and grabbed my Spanish book for my first session.

My eyes caught a piece of paper as it slipped from the book. As I bent to take it up, I recognized it before I even retrieved it. I contemplated taking it up, but the squeezing on my heart prompt me to take a peep. Before I knew it, I was reading over the stupid note ten times.

'I left a little something for you hidden in your second drawer. Feel better baby', it read. I remembered that day like it was yesterday. Cameron knew my period was due that day since he tracked it on his app, and he had left that note on the fridge since he knew I'd be looking for a snack.

When I found the chocolate, I shoved the note in my Spanish textbook and gobbled it away. It just reminded me of what we had, making me wonder if it was ever real.

A part of me wanted to crumble the note and burn it to Hell, but instead, I folded it and placed it back in my book.

A familiar feeling swamped my whole mood, erasing every joy I had of seeing kittens and memes. My eyes then darted to the tray of cupcakes I kept in my locker and my mind went to one place.

Eat.

Before I could stop myself, I was trying to stuff the whole thing in my very small knapsack. I just wanted to stuff my face.