Chapter 26

Song for Chapter:

I Miss You, I'm Sorry By Gracie Abrams

***

"Cameron?"

I stumbled back a little as I eyed him just sitting there at the kitchen island, looking at me with big sad eyes. I was stuck in time as I stared at him, soaking up the satisfaction I felt being this close to him. It has been too long, way too long.

I recollected my self with a shake of my head and a very exaggerated grunt. "What-what are you doing here?" I asked, surprised at how my voice betrayed me.

He sighed deeply, finally breaking eye contact as he dropped the ice pack from his cheek. A gasp involuntarily escaped my lips as my legs carried me over to him. I gently gripped his chin to analyze thepurple-ish bruise now forming on his cheek.

"Oh my gosh Cam what happened?" My voice was laced with concern as I grabbed the ice pack again.

His hand stopped me from reconnecting the ice to his cheek, while his eyes told me silently that it was okay, so I slowly placed it back on the kitchen counter. I waited silently for him to  tell me what happened, and I realized that I was standing between his legs with his hand on the small of my back, just like old times.

"I uh-I got into a fight" He mumbled shyly, scratching the back of his neck. I could see that it wasn't his proudest moment, but I was still disappointed.

"At the game?" He nodded slowly, looking down like a child getting scolded.

"I fought for you" He said softly, still not meeting my eyes. My eyebrows scrunched in confusion as I tried to understand what he was trying to say.

"What do you mean?" I was thinking he meant it more as a metaphorical aspect about 'us' rather than physical, but I knew that wasn't what he meant.

"I overheard some guys from New Gardens planning to take you this year, and I kinda lost it" He said, making my heart do a mini flip. I didn't condone fighting, but the sick feeling that he was trying to protect me made it seem better.

My mood soften a whole lot as I gazed at him. I brought his eyes to mine so he could see me when I said: "Thank you Cameron. It means a lot that you still care about me"

"Of course I still care about you Jamie." His eyebrows furrowed as if wondering why I said that. "I'll always care about you, more than I care about myself"

"Cameron..."

"No Jamie let me say this. Today after I fought those guys,  I  realized that I would never hesitate fight for you, but yet I haven't been fighting the way I should be" His hands tighten around my waist as I started to back away, since I was growing quite anxious.

"Cameron please.." I tried to stop him since I knew I wasn't ready for this conversation.

"Jamie just let me say this" His eyes pleaded with me to listen, so I sighed reluctantly and stopped struggling. Feeling satisfied, his hand loosened around my waist before continuing.

"I didn't fight for you, and for that I am so sorry. But I don't want you to think, even for a second, that I was losing interest in you--in us... I- I still need you Jamie. I know I should've tried harder to get us back but-"