Chapter 3

Every high school has that one girl.

The Queen bee that rules the school. The one girl that almost every boy yearns for. The elite supermodel with her supreme trio. We knew her, some feared her, and others wanted to be her.

Well, that was suppose to be me.

Not that I wanted it, but if things were different I would've been.

In middle school, I was the Queen bee, believe it or not, I was. The blonde that ruled the halls; and Alyssa, my former best friend and current Queen bee, was right by my side ruling with me.

Alyssa and I go way back--like kindergarten way back. We were always on our parents' throats about play dates and eventually, our moms got close too. So we did almost everything together for years.

We did gymnastics together, swimming together, we even basically lived at each other's houses. When we started middle school, it was never our intentions to command attention and subjection, but when we got it, we just played the role.

It happened that we played it too well and we were named as the Furies. Eventually, the title did its best to us and we more than just played the role. We were the role.

Most kids from our middle school automatically matriculated into the same high school, and so it was suppose to stay the same. And it did. For Alyssa at least.

The summer before freshman year of high school, the worst thing happened. I lost my mom.

My dad, who is a marine and is barely home, completely went torpid on us. It was left to me and my big sister Nessa, to deal with it alone. Luckily, my sister was 18 at the time and she automatically stepped in as my guardian since dad was apparently too deep in grieving to give a crap. It took the worst toll on me emotionally. My mom was my best friend, my dad's behaviour really disappointed me. My sister and I weren't even close at that time.

It was really bad to the point where I just shut out everyone. Alyssa was there but even her I barely let in. So, I turned to my next best friend. Food.

I would binge eat everyday all summer. And I wasn't the purging type, oh no. I ate and ate and never stopped eating. Before I knew it, I was 200 pounds, clothes-less and starting freshman year looking and feeling totally different.

Ever heard the phrase 'karma is a bitch?'. Well, it bitched me right up.

Everyone I was ever mean to took the liberty in paying me back with insults and mean behaviour. I was no longer the blonde Queen bee. I was the blonde fat kid.

Alyssa was nice to me, still is actually. But I felt like being around me would ruin her reputation, so I stayed away from her. That, and I was ashamed. My loneliness only made my binging worse until I met Alex. Yet even then, I still ate like my life depended on it.

Then two years later when Alex left high school and I still wouldn't spend much time with Alyssa, I was back to a loner. I had a few friends here and there, but it wasn't much.

So when I started my senior year with my old but improved middle school look , I struck the breath from everyone in school. Except Ryan of course.

Everywhere I walked, people whispered. I even heard that some people were expecting me to rejoin Alyssa at the top of the food chain again. Saying that, and I quote "she's hot again so why not".