Chapter 4

Song for Chapter:

Don't Forget About Me by Cloves

***

"And where exactly is Alex? " I demanded without greeting as I approached Cameron who was leaning against his car in the parking lot.

I saw eyes lingering in our direction, and I could smell the gossip already. That was yet another reason why I was annoyed that Cameron showed up instead of Alex; and he wasn't even subtle about it either. Nope. He was bracing against the car with the music a little bit too high, and his stupid shades that looked so remarkably good on his stupid face only made the situation even stupider!

"It's nice to see you too Jamie" He coolly stated as if he didn't notice my annoyance. I simply rolled my eyes as I stopped a few feet away from him and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Why couldn't Alex come?"

"Oh I had a great day. And you? " He asked, totally avoiding my question.

I gave him an unamused look as he tried to keep his grin at bay. Finally, he gave in and answered my actual question. "I overheard him blowing off a hot chick this morning because he had to come pick you up, so I told him to go live a little"

He opened the door for me and I reluctantly got in, then he joined me soon after on the driver's side. I couldn't help the twinge in my chest at the mention of Alex abandoning me for some girl. I was definitely jealous.

Not in a girl-boy way, but I was indeed jealous.

"Why would you do that for him? You guys talk but you're friends" I inquired as I buckled up just as we pulled out of the school's parking lot.

"Who said I did it for him? "

I didn't respond since my mind wasn't even registering his question. All I could think about was the girl Alex was with.

"You do know that his life doesn't revolve around you right? And the dude's so blindly commited to you, that he doesn't even notice it" He added when I didn't answer.

My chest ached because I knew it was true. Alex has a life of his own and he doesn't have to be there for me every single time I needed him. 

"I know that" I unintentionally snapped. He seemed shocked by my outburst as he looked between me and the road for a few seconds.

"Sorry" I mumbled after I felt bad. "Its just...just-"

"You're jealous "

"Yes but not like how you think " I reassured, which made him visibly relax for some reason.

"So you aren't jealous because he's with a girl? "

"No no. God no." I shook my head. "I love him but only as a friend. I don't see anything beyond that. But it's just that a girl means.. " I trailed off since I truly had no clue how to end that sentence.

I teased Alex all the time about getting a girlfriend, but I didn't mean it. It's selfish of me, very selfish, but a girl in his life could potentially ruin our friendship and eventually take him away from me.