twenty six - don't let me go

Natasha...

In the United Kingdom, we call a subway - a tube. That's where we were heading, King's Cross Station. It was a seething mass of humanity, shoulder to shoulder, in each other's faces, no personal space. Sliding through gaps, I grabbed Theo's hand guiding us onto the escalator that took us down to the platform. Death Angel who is known as Dax wasn't the type to obey orders. I discreetly glanced at the two men going up the other escalator, they appeared to be agitated, looking frantically around searching.

"Kiss me," I said quickly turning to face Theo as he looked at me with wide eyes. He tilted his head quizzically whilst arching his eyebrows. "Public display of affection makes people uncomfortable," I recalled closing the gap between us, my hand went to the back of his neck bringing his lips onto mine as he melted into the kiss, his hands went to my waist pulling me close. I pulled away as we were coming to the end of the escalator. Theo cleared his throat awkwardly regaining his senses, "..and what was that for?"

We made it onto the platform, now all we had to do was wait for the tube. "We were being tailed by Dax's men. They almost spotted us." I said, looking at my watch. 5 minutes. We can stay out of chaos for 5 minutes, right?

"Oh." Was all Theo said, a hint of disappointment in his voice. 

"Keep an eye out for anything suspicious." I pressed, glancing behind him at the crowded platform. "I suspected this would happen." 

He pressed his lips into a fine line shaking his head, "I'm sorry L." I placed a hand on his shoulder and gave him a small smile. "What happened?" I asked quietly barely a whisper. He lifted his head up looking into my eyes, "He hired me as a bodyguard, at first it was only part-time working at his club but he offered me a full-time job by his side." He paused scanning the crowd, "I accepted the offer, I needed the money and the pay was great. But one night Dax had a disagreement with someone outside the club and he shot him." He paused again looking at me, "I tried to save him but I couldn't. He murdered him in cold blood."

"Now he wants to eliminate you because you were a key witness." I finished while Theo nodded. "I'm not letting anything happen to you." I insisted just before I pushed him out of the way as a large man came charging towards me, he jumps driving his shoulder into my stomach tackling me to the floor. I kneed his stomach but he kept a tight hold around my waist. He was a big guy with broad shoulders, it made it hard for me to wedge myself out of his hold so I had to resort to rolling us both off the platform. We landed on the tracks like a pile of bricks. Lucky for me he took most of the impact as he landed on his back.

I sprung to my feet shooting Theo a quick glance, he too was fighting a man who was in similar attire to my opponent. From the corner of my eyes, I saw him lunging towards me, his fist aiming at my face. I grabbed his forearm pulling it forward whilst my right fist landed on his face. He took a few staggering steps back, but I didn't stop. Shifting my weight onto my left foot I lifted my right foot aiming for his cricoid cartilage. 

A sudden gust of cold air flew past me at great velocity, I watched the man collapsed onto the tracks coughing, gasping for air. Suddenly there was a light shining through the tunnel, "Good evening passengers, please stand behind the yellow line as the train is arriving at Platform 7. Passengers are reminded to mind the gap between the train and the platform edge when boarding. Thank you" My heart began to race as I felt the tracks vibrating. I looked at Theo who ran toward the platform edge whilst I did the same. The wind picked up as the tube got closer, I jumped and grabbed Theo's hand. I got one leg over the platform edge. The headlights of the tube were coming into view, I looked down at my foot where the man was holding onto my ankle attempting to pull me back down.

I looked at Theo with panic in my eyes, "Don't let me go."

He shook his head pulling me up with all his power, "Never again." I held onto Theo with one hand whilst the other searched my pockets. I lifted a pocket knife out and threw it with precise aim into the man's neck. He toppled over onto the tracks choking on his own blood. I hurled myself over the edge. Just in time as the tube came racing into the station.

My breathing became staggered as I tried to calm myself down. My chest felt heavy. It became harder and harder to breathe as the walls were closing in. Theo scanned my face with concerns, "Hey! It's okay...you're okay." He said softly picking me up, one arm under my knees and the other around my back. "I-I-I can't breath." I croaked out as my head began to spin, Theo walked us onto the tube and placed me down onto the seat, "Listen to me darling, It's just a panic attack. You used to have them all the time." He whispered, taking my shaky hands into his warm hands. 

"What's happening to me," I cried, sweat rolling down my forehead. Theo held my hands securely, "Listen to my voice and try taking deep breaths okay?" He whispered. I closed my eyes listening to his deep voice telling me that I was going to be ok. Slowly I tried inhaling for as long as I could but the tightness in my chest was still there. I kept trying until my breathing eventually slowed down. Suddenly feeling overwhelmed and tired, I rested my head on his shoulder breathing in his signature cologne. I relaxed into his arms letting sleep take over me.