thirty seven - anyone seen my suit?

I rolled my shoulders back and took a deep breath before pressing the bell to the dark chestnut door. What felt like 10 minutes passed, the door swings open and behind it stood a woman with dark curly hair, she wore a bright smile that could light up a city in the dark. 

"Leti!" She beamed, her smile growing even wider which I didn't think was possible. "Come on in."

I returned the smile and slipped in through the door, "Hi Mrs Grey." I uttered placing a soft peck on her cheek.

She scoffs guiding me to the living room, which consists of plain cream walls and grey furniture. "What do I keep telling you, call me Rylie." 

I nodded gesturing for her to sit first, moments after I sat down next to her. "How is he? How is my boy?" She questioned, her eyebrows creasing at the centre. I shifted my focus from her grey eyes to the carpet. 

"He's doing well. Still, on the life support machine, no signs of him waking up yet but he's strong." I grasped her hand and squeezed it. "He's going to be fine." Her eyes had glazed over, sunlight reflecting it. I pushed my emotions back trying to remain strong for her.

"He's lucky to have you L," She paused reaching into her pocket for something. "When his father died he wasn't in a good place and if it wasn't for you—" Her fragile hands held a picture of Theo and his father, it was taken when he got accepted into the Marines in his uniform with a mischievous grin on his face. "He pushed everyone away but you didn't give up on him."

"He wouldn't give up on me," I whispered gazing at her. "So I'm not giving up on him." A tear rolled down her face, "Which is why I came." 

She nodded for me to go on, "My friend Tony has an idea that could bring Theo out of the coma." I passed her the file from my bag, "This is all the information I researched from the project and I have to admit Mrs— Rylie, I don't know myself if it's worth the risk."

She skimmed through the information I gathered, "Does he really have a 65% chance of surviving?" 

"His body is already accepting the serum. I didn't want to continue with the procedure unless I had your permission."

She takes both of my hands into hers, "Darling, you have my permission. I trust you with my son, and if you think this is a good idea then I want you to do it." 

"Are you sure?" I croaked, this was a big decision - she should at least take some time to read the file. "You can take some time to think about it?"

"No dear." She shook her head. "My trust is in you, this file means nothing if you don't want to go through with it." I smiled faintly as she engulfs me into her arms, I could smell her flowery scent that was nostalgic. My whole childhood in one perfume.

"A part of me wants to keep him on the life support machine, but what kind of a person would I be to keep him in a coma when there's a chance he could wake up," I confessed resting my chin on her shoulder. 

"Whatever decision you make, you have my full support." She replied smoothing the back of my head with her hand. "So tell me about how you escaped the CIA."

I chuckled, still holding onto her. "...it all started with a betrayal."

***

Walking into Tony's compound never failed to impress me, this man was really living in the future. I scanned my handprint on the digital pad next to the door, it flashed green allowing me access into the building.

It didn't surprise me when I saw Gabe chasing Robin with Peter's mask on and a sparkly unicorn backpack.

"Hey! Be careful with that. It's expensive?" I hear Peter's voice in the distance. 

Pressing my lips together I headed towards the stairs and locked myself in the bedroom away from the conflict, I sat at my desk pulling a leather book from under the table and started writing.

Day 25

Dear Theo, 

It's been three weeks since the ambush at Li Wei's house, I miss you more and more every day. Dreamt about Quinn last night, it's ironic really - when you were here I hardly had any night terrors and now I have them almost every night. Anyways, I'm still staying off the grid and it looks like Roman has gone off the maps, we can't find him anywhere. Probably a wise choice to be honest, for his own safety. Gabe said he had no idea about his plans and I believe him. I do. But I'm finding it hard to trust Tony and the Avengers, I'm sure they're finding it just as hard to trust us too. Robin hates it here, she's not a massive fan of Tony. Probably because he threatened to blast her into space and Gabe? Well, Gabe has bought himself a sparkly unicorn backpack, I think he wants to fill it up with grenades.

I went to visit your mother this morning, she's doing well love. Still as beautiful as ever, she finally got a new television. Remember when we used to sit and watch 'Mission Impossible' and it would keep breaking up so we had to hit it about three times! She really misses you, we should go see her as soon as you're awake. The main reason was to ask her for some advice. Well, more like her permission.

You see, Tony might have a way of getting you out of this coma. I've seen the machine, it doesn't look all that bad, I promise. But it has some side effects, it would enhance your physical abilities to superhuman levels - if it works. Your mom wants us to do it, she gave us permission but I'm still feeling sceptical about it - I can't risk losing you forever. I should tell you that I allowed Tony to inject small amounts of 'soldier serum' into you every day to see how your body would react and it's going well. Your body is accepting the serum and your health is not deteriorating. 

Theodore Alexander Grey, born on the 12th of September, your favourite colour is green, your favourite animals are snakes, your dream was joining the Marines because you're an adrenaline junkie...like me. What I'm trying to say is that I know you more than anyone and I know that you wouldn't want to stay plugged into that machine. Which is why I told Tony that we're going through with it, you'd be the first soldier of 'The Project Rebirth'.

America's greatest soldier.