five - trust

I sat on the kitchen Island watching Xanders clean my knuckles, they were cut and swollen. I close my eyes, fighting off the nausea.

"Hey." I heard Xanders shout whilst slapping my face gently, I winced at the pain in my cheek when he touched it and he immediately drew back his hand. "Sorry L, but you got to stay awake just in case you have a mild concussion."

I nodded my head, "Thanks for the help Xanders." Once I stood up, a groaned left my mouth as pain shot through my side. Xander's eyes widen and he lifted me back up on the island before carefully lifting my shirt up revealing a large bruise on the side of my rib cage.

He made an apologetic face whilst getting two ice packs from the freezer, "he really did a number on you huh?"

I put on a fake smile to hide the pain, "you think this is bad? you should of seen him kiddo"

He chuckled giving me and an ice pack to hold to my cheek whereas he held one on my rib cage. I tapped my earpiece twice meaning I was now speaking to all my men that were staying at the manor, "Code orange, I want everyone on high alert, armed at all times." A chorus of 'yes ma'am' echoed through my ear.

"Any news on that encryption?" I asked Xanders.

"I'm really close to cracking it, I just had to make sure you're okay first." He whispered the last part but I heard it and gave him a genuine smile squeezing his hand.

"Have you not heard the stories? I'm invincible," I coughed, "now go do what you do best." He squeezed my hand back and walked out of the kitchen. I winced as I made my way over to the couch. Throwing myself on it, I felt my body instantly relax until I hear someone clear their throat. Immediately I tensed up, clenching my fists and jaw. I glared at Gabe demanding answers without any actual words leaving my mouth.

"Come on sweetheart, don't look at me like that."

"Don't you sweetheart me, five years Gabe, cinque fottuti anni and not once did you mention that you had a brother." I'm pretty sure smoke was coming out of my nostrils at this point.

"I was coming to tell you but you were too busy trying to kill each other!"

I scoffed and stood up limping in agony, "yeh, well shit happens when you find a CIA agent in your armoury."

"He's with us, he's trying to help." Gabe pleaded.

I laughed, "Are you even listening to yourself, just because we have the same motives doesn't mean shit," I pointed at pretty boy, "he's on the other side of the law Gabe. Your brother or not he's still CIA."

Gabe open his mouth but I cut him off, "They've been hunting me down like I'm some kind of criminal when I've done more for them than any of their agents. So what makes you think I'm going to trust him? I don't even know if I can trust you anymore."

Hurt flashed through Gabe's eyes before he took a step towards me, "have I ever given you a reason to not trust me? He's not here to arrest you, he's here to protect you."

He's right I've always trusted him, not once did I ever doubt him. I continue to glare straight into his eyes, "Protect me?" I laughed, "I didn't even know this guy existed? Why now Gabe? Why tell me about him now?"

His eyes softened, "because we need him L, he was the one who found out about the bounty."

"Does CIA know about this bounty?" I snapped.

"No..not yet, he was on an undercover mission in Mexico when he found out and he came straight to me, only the people in this room knows..and Xanders."

"I trust Xanders, Non mi fido di lui," I replied glaring at his brother. (I don't trust him.)

Gabe sighed, "devi fidarti di lui se vuoi rimanere in vita." (your going to have to trust him if you want to stay alive.)

I was about to reply when pretty boy himself spoke up, "I speak Italian too you know?" He said looking between me and Gabe.

I took a minute to analyse him, the soft tissues around his eye were bruised and almost black, there were minor cuts and lacerations on his face similar to mine but I had a large yellow bruise on my cheekbone instead of my eye, he was dressed in black cargo pants with combat boots and a long sleeve t-shirt which was far too tight on him as I could see all the muscle definition.

"Checking me out little red?" He asked smirking.

"In your nightmares pretty boy," I scoffed, "You seem to have a little...something...there." I gestured my finger towards his black eye.

"Oh this?" He pointed at his left eye then laughed, "It's nothing, you really should of seen my opponent."

I rolled my eyes and took a step towards him, "I heard you got your ass handed to you by a girl is that right?"

He took a step towards me unfazed, "I heard a CIA agent broke into your house...is that right?" He replied with the same tone.

I clenched my jaw, then balled my fists trying to control the anger boiling up inside me. I saw Gabe's hand on pretty boy's chest pushing him away from me, "Okay....how about you take a minute to cool down, and you.." He turned to face me, placing his index finger on the end of my nose, "need to take some deep breaths...remember inhale through your mouth and ex-"

I interrupted him again shifting my gaze to pretty boy, "So..."

Gabe raised an eyebrow at me then threw his arms in the air shaking his head in disbelief, "why do I even bother." He mumbled.

I cocked my head to the side, "your really willing to compromise the Intelligence by helping...me? A fugitive?"

He mirrored my body language, cocking his head the same way, "that's where you got it all wrong little red, I'm not 'compromising' anything. In fact I'm trying to save your life without bringing the CIA into this."

I tried to process what he'd just said, whilst leaning my face closer to his not breaking eye contact. "How do I know I can trust you?" I whispered.

He leaned his face in even closer making my heart beat rise uncontrollably. "If I wanted you dead, I would of shot you in the armoury." He whispered back in a flat tone. I searched his eyes to see if he was lying - these agents are trained to lie for a living - but instead I caught his eyes lingering on my busted lips, I shifted my gaze to his they were moist and pink not busted like mine were. He slowly ran his tongue across his bottom lip causing my mouth to water.

Gabe cleared his throat making us both jump away from each other. I completely forgot he was still here.

I yawned, "well I don't know about you guys but I am exhausted... so if you'd excuse me, I'm going to take a nap." I made my way out of the kitchen thinking to myself. What the hell was that all about?