forty - the dark knight

Bruce Wayne.

I've heard of him before. A billionaire industrialist, owner of Wayne Enterprise - it didn't take a genius to work that out. I just can't make the link between him and Robin. It just doesn't make sense, she's been gone for a week now and not a single call or text. It was like she disappeared from the face of the earth.

"You're still on the FBI's most-wanted list." Mused Xanders who was typing frantically on his laptop. 

"My parents would be so proud," I commented with a tight-lipped smile. "Hey...do you know anything about Wayne Enterprise?" I questioned as casually as I could.

The typing suddenly stopped, filling the air with silence. "Wayne. As in Bruce Wanye?" I nodded affirming his question. "He's a billionaire, I can tell you that. His company has many divisions, one of them being WayneTech - it's the retrieval and research of alien technology." His eyes lit up as he spoke.

I couldn't help but smile at his innocence, "If I wanted to know where he was right now, could you find out?" It came out as a question but in all fairness, it was anything but a question, of course, he could find out. "And this stays between us." I pressed narrowing my eyes at his grinning face.

"You want me to find Bruce Wayne?" He questions in disbelief, a mischievous grin playing on his face.

I stifled a laugh, "Do your worst kid."

***

Mr Wayne approached the skyscraper which had a bold sign at the entrance - 'Wayne Enterprise.' He tightens his black tie against the collar of his shirt and proceeds towards the glass door where a biometric scanner was positioned on a digital pad beside the door. His hand lands on the pad before it quickly flashes green, "Welcome Mr Wayne." A robotic voice chimed.

Through the lobby of the ground floor, he was greeted by various people who worked for him. He shook everyone's hand with a small smile before he headed towards his office, located on the top floor of the building. Just as the lift was closing he saw a quick hand intercepting the doors from closing fully and in-comes Stacy the fake blonde who works in the HR department.

"Mr Wyane.." She cooed with her plumpy fake lips. "What brings you to the office?" Her long hot pink nails dragged along his chest. 

"Just some business I need to handle." He replies watching the light changing on the button's panel.

"Well...if any of that business involves me, you know where I am." She winked exiting the lift.

Mr Wayne rolled his eyes making a mental note to fire her before she passes her STD's to everyone in the building. That's if she hasn't done it already. He quickly dodged into his office before anyone else tries to speak to him and rested his head on the door, he lets out a long breath loosening his tie again so he could undo his top button.

"Long day at the office?" Spoke a rough voice from behind him. Without thinking he extends his arm releasing an object towards the voice. Like a cheetah, the shadow ducks as the object flies past embedding itself in the leather chair. "That was rude." He soon registered that the voice was a female's. She pulled the sharp Batarang from the leather chair and eyes the shape of the weapon - a Bat. "Well, shit." She scoffs throwing the weapon back at him, which sliced the side of his cheek like a papercut. "Batman." She sneered approaching him.

As soon as she came into the light he knew who he was dealing with and she wasn't backing down. "Aren't you supposed to be in ADX Florence?" He uttered rolling his sleeves up but she didn't wait around. With a brutal kick, Bruce flies towards the door with a loud thud. 

"Aren't you?" She countered grabbing him by the collar - with such power you could hear the material rip. He quickly ducks under a punch that cracks the door behind him. Swiftly twisting himself out of her hold, he presses her up against the door with both of his hands on her throat. She clawed at his arms as he crushes her windpipe, his lips twitching upwards as her eyes began to droop until suddenly her knee struck his man area. He immediately releases her groaning at the pain while she caresses her neck coughing violently. A hard left slams into Bruce's ribs before a right hook comes into contact with his jaw. "You're stronger than I remembered." He coughed as the room abruptly started to fill with smoke.

A sharp object pierced through the air slicing into LeToya's hand, she hissed as another sliced into Bruce's hand. It was impossible for the two to see anything in that room as thick smoke consumed it. Bruce felt a hand grasping his wrist which instantly caused him to twist his opponent's arm earning a yelp and strikes his knee into their stomach. The shadow pummeled its foot into the back of kneecaps forcing him to fall onto his knees then rapidly tieing both his wrist behind his back.

Five minutes later both LeToya and Bruce were sat on the leather elongated couch with their wrists bound behind their backs. As the smoke began to clear they both shared a dumbfounded look, they weren't fighting each other in the smoke - they were fighting someone else.

A small figure appeared from the smoke, dressed in a red vest with green sleeves and long tight green pants. With a black mask sitting across her eyes, LeToya could still recognise her best friend.

"She started it," Wayne shrugged noticing the scowl on Robin's face.

"Actually you did. With your stupid bat thing."

He narrowed his eyes at the assassin. "It's called a Batarang."

"Yeh and no one cares." She mumbles.

Robin cleared her throat loudly, "Are you both done?" They glared at each other for a second longer before turning back to face Zara. "Why are you here L?" 

"Nice to see you too Robin." Her voice dripping with sarcasm. "Everyone's worried sick about you."

"Well here I am," She said throwing her hands up in the air. "Safe and sound."

"Yeh I can see that." LeToya paused, "But why did you leave?"

Robin refused to look at her as she replied. "I just need to take care of a few things."

"With him." LeToya pressed throwing a disgusted look at Wayne.

"Yes."