thirty - family

It has been a week since I escaped from the Intelligence. A week of running from one state to another. A week of not being able to go back to my own home.

A week that Gabriel Santoro has been missing.

I placed my phone on the table, "Anything?" Robin asked with anticipation. Her red puffy eyes were the evidence that she hadn't slept since she found out he was gone. She ran a shaky hand through her platinum hair when I shook my head. 

"Xanders still looking through all the surveillance. All we know is that he left an hour after you left for New Orleans and he hasn't been seen since, his phone has been deactivated so we can't track him." I spoke trying to keep my voice steady. 

Robin's head hung low as she tried to regain herself, I knew this was hard on her. Hell, I was a mess on the inside, I can't even remember the last time I ate. "We'll find him, Rob," I reassured her picking my phone up again. "You have my word."

I punched the numbers into my phone and placed the screen to my ear. "Hey L." Says a voice from the other end of the phone.

"Ana." I greeted flatly. "Did Twelve get home okay?" 

"Yes, she's with me right now. We've looked at the CCTV footages from all the airports, he's not here Leti." She replied and I sighed in relief closing my eyes for a brief second. "I don't know if that's good or bad. Take it how you want it. If you need anything just call me."

"Thanks Ana." I spoke trying to plan my next move now that I can rule out Russia, it was the last place I wanted to play cat and mouse in.

"I hope you find him soon." She added before the line went silent. Something just didn't sit right with this situation, Gabe was a fully trained Navy Seal. I've seen him in his element - he never misses a shot and he is always assessing his surroundings, even more often than I do. His playful personality might make him seem restless but he's only like that with us. In the field, he's a completely different person.

I cautiously eyed Robin when a knock echoed from the front door. Getting up slowly, my hand already on a gun. I gestured for her to check the back door whilst I headed towards the noise. We were staying in a small bungalow in Chicago still trying to stay off the grid. I peered through the peephole and swung the door open, "What do you want." I snarled one hand resting on the door frame and the other hung low with a gun in it. 

The boy stared at me and wrinkled his nose at my appearance, "When was the last time you slept?" He asked pushing past me. A string of curse words left my lips as I slammed the door shut. 

"Who the fuck are you?" Robin snapped her knife on his throat close enough to draw blood if she wanted to. Still, it didn't seem to phase Dylan as he looked between Robin and me with a grin on his face.

"If I had known I was walking into a lion's den I wouldn't have come." He muttered mainly to himself, "But I have information on your boy-" At the mention of Gabe, Robin releases him and steps back with her arms crossed. 

"Sit." She spat at Dylan kicking a chair towards him. He raised his hands in surrender and sat down in the seat.

"After you told me one of your men were missing, I put money on the streets for any information." He stated looking directly at me. "We heard that The Triads have him... lucky for you I have never been a fan of the Triads - always taking my businesses and my profits." 

"What do the Triads want with Gabe?" I mused to myself.

"When it comes to Triads they only want one thing—" 

Dylan's voice was cut off when Robin intervenes, "Power." She said through her gritted teeth.

"Exactly, they're smart. They knew his connections with you and they know that you'll come for him." He added unsure of where to look, Robin had a scowl on her face whilst I had my jaw clenched.

"Do you know what they want in exchange for Gabe?" I retort now scrolling through my contacts list on my phone. When the room went silent I looked up from the screen to find a pale looking Dylan looking anywhere but my eyes.

He sucked in a quick breath, "They want you to leave. Leave the United States and never come back so they can run their illegal drug rings, hate crime, arson, murder." He listed with me pacing around the room "...without you intercepting."

As much as I would've liked to get away from the CIA and the feds there was no way in hell I was leaving the United States - not right now anyway. The Triads would take over in a second. Don't get me wrong Dylan's mafia is strong but against the Triads? He's a dead man walking. 

"Let's pack up," I muttered sending a quick text to Xanders. "The team is meeting us at the warehouse in New York."

Dylan stared at me with a blank face, "What? did you think I would actually leave?" I chuckled pocketing my phone. 

"I'll get my men ready." He replied lifting his own phone to his ear. 

I slipped it from his hand, "No. I won't be responsible for the death of you or your men." I said firmly. "I'm not going there to call a truce, there will be bloodshed."

He nods his head with determination in his eyes, he pried the phone free from my hand. "I'm doing this whether you like it or not. I wouldn't have these men if it wasn't for you." I squeezed his shoulder in response, suddenly losing my ability to form sentences either from sleep deprivation, I headed upstairs to pack the few items I had with me.

***

We were back where we started, the old wear house where we all gathered after the FBI ambushed us at Robin's apartment.

Xanders and three other tech guys were set up on a desk with multiple screens and their headsets on, eyes glued to their laptops.

About 50 of my men were here - all trained ex-military soldiers, cleaning their weapons and checking their ammo. Dylan stood in one corner of the room with his men and women, no doubt briefing them about the situation. 

I caught Toni walking towards me with a duffle bag, I told Carlson to stay with Papa at his lake house - where I know he'll be safe and out of harm's way. "I got what you asked." He said with a smile, he looked exhausted - dark circles under his eyes, his beard has been left unattended and growing wild. He might've had his ups and downs with Gabe but he would be just as worried if any of us went missing, he sees us as his family and we are. He's my family as I am his.

"Thanks, T." I answered opening up the bag, it was filled with various weapons from a handgun to an assault rifle. "You should get some rest, we roll out tonight."

"You should too," he suggested ruffling up my hair. "You look like death." I chuckled at that, I've lost track of how many cups of coffees I've consumed today.

"I think she looks worse than death." Says a low husky voice from behind me. My lips curled up at the voice that sent shivers down my spine. I spun around on my heel trying to conceal my smile only for it to betray me. It only grew wider when he said, "Hello love."

"Look what the cat dragged in." I grinned taking in his appearance, he wore a loose black top and army green cargo pants, dog tags hanging from his neck.

"Look what the dog threw up," He countered pulling me into his arms. I didn't try to resist it, I just stood in his embrace. Finding comfort in his welcoming scent of wood and smoke, I felt my heartbeat slowing down to a calm steady pace. "I thought I lost you." He whispered placing a small peck on my forehead.

I never questioned what this was between him and I. He doesn't either. I just know that no matter how dark or twisted my past has been, it all disappears when I'm with him.