Chapter 5

Surviving the Apocalypse

Y/n POV

We snuck forward behind some cars so that the zombies wouldn't spot us.

Suddenly, Yuna froze making the rest of us freeze.

"What is it?" Ryujin whispered.

Yuna held up her shaking hand and pointed.

We all looked and froze.

There was a crowd of zombies in front of us that had a few zombie birds circling overhead.

The birds all had huge wounds on them and they occasionally gave out shrill cries.

Their beady eyes scanned the street, searching for survivors.

"Fudge." Ryujin whispered. "We're going to have to be quiet and hide from the birds and zombies."

"Where did they come from?" Yuna whispered.

"No idea." She whispered. "What I do know, is that we need to get out of here."

We all nodded and sneaked towards one of the buildings next to us.

I steadied my breath as I glanced at the zombies around us.

Hmmmmm.....it looks like the birds are like spotters and scouts for the main force of zombies. I thought to myself glancing up at them.

We managed to make our way to the building with no zombie spotting us.

"Alright. How are we supposed to get in?" Ryujin whispered. "If we use the front windows or the door, they're going to spot us."

I pointed at the alleyways on both sides of the building.

"Hmmmm....that's a good idea Y/n. One of them has a car parked in front of it." Yuna whispered. "It could provide cover for us."

We carefully made our way over to the car and hid behind it so the birds wouldn't spot us.

"How do you think everyone else is doing?" Yuna whispered.

"Probably better than us." Ryujin whispered.

I glanced around the alley and saw a way to go on the roof.

I tapped Ryujin's and Yuna's shoulder and pointed at the ladder.

They turned around and looked at the ladder.

"You want us to go on the roof?" Yuna whispered and glanced at Ryujin.

Ryujin nodded and whispered, "Sounds like a great plan right now."

We creeped our way over there and arrived at the ladder.

I grabbed it and the rungs let out a small grating sound but nothing terribly loud.

'Be careful. Makes sound.' I mouthed at Ryujin and Yuna.

They nodded and I moved aside to let Ryujin climb up first.

"Wait. What if there is zombies on the roof?" Yuna whispered.

Ryujin and I paused and looked at her.

"Well, there's no better option than this. Besides, I'll be fine. I'll give you guys a thumbs-up if it's safe." Ryujin whispered and smiled at us.

Then, she started climbing up.

The ladder squeaked and groaned slightly every time Ryujin hoisted herself up.

I glanced nervously at the entrance of the alleyway to make sure no zombies were coming over.

After a little while, Ryujin arrived at the top of the ladder and climbed onto the roof.

We lost sight of her when she did that and held our breaths as we stared up at the edge of the roof.

Suddenly, Ryujin's grinning face appeared and she made a thumbs-up at us.

We sighed in relief and I let Yuna go up next.

After she went up, I grasped the rungs and started climbing.

The ladder groaned each time I moved upwards and I bit my lips in nervousness.

Fudge. I just hope this isn't loud enough to attract any zombies considering that three people have gone up this freaking annoying ladder. I thought to myself.

I glanced at the entrance of the alley and looked in shock at the bird there.

I froze in fear and stared at it.

Ryujin grabbed her gun and aimed at it.

"Wait." Yuna whispered and put her hand on Ryujin's.

After a while, the bird moved a little and I saw that it was facing away from me.

It looked around a bit before flying off to join the other birds.

I breathed a sigh of relief and continued my climb.

After a nerve-wrecking climb, I was helped onto the roof by Ryujin and Yuna.

What in the- I thought as we stared at the ruined cityscape.

Most of the buildings had broken windows and some smoke billowing out of them and I saw that there was a collapsed skyscraper in the distance barely being supported by another one.

There was also numerous fires still burning all across the city.

"So this is what the outside world is like?" Yuna murmured.

Ryujin sighed and plopped down onto the ground.

"Ugh. This is too much to take in right now." She said and put her face into her hand.

I sighed and looked at the city.

Wow. Well this sucks. Hoonie said.

Yeah.....how many zombies do you think are out there? I thought.

More than you have bullets for. In fact, there's probably about more than a 120 zombies currently down in the streets close by. Hoonie said. But I sense zombies everywhere in the city....even below it. Far below.

What do you mean bel- I thought before I remembered. Wait a second....

"Hey guys.....I think we should head back now. We can't stay here for much longer in case the birds spot us." Yuna said looking at us.

Ryujin sighed and got up.

"Yeah. You're right. It's not like we didn't know it would be like this." She said before turning her head to the side. "It's just different when you see it all in front of you....."

I nodded before giving everyone reassuring pats.

I glanced at the ruined buildings and frowned.

Was that....something tall with pale skin moving really fast? I thought to myself.

Let's leave now......err....those birds are coming up. Hoonie said.

I nodded and gestured to everyone to head back.

They nodded and we started walking across the rooftop.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow. Another update. Well, they got out of that tricky situation.

But what was that thing with pale skin?

See you next chapter!!!!