fourteen

"It's time!"

I pump my fist in the air, smiling happily. I see Remi looking up at me curiously. My hands slamming onto the counter in the kitchen.

I look down at the cake I made, grinning at Remi. He ran his finger on the edge of the cake and I see him take off some icing.

"Be careful. The cake isn't just for you." I state confidently, reapplying the icing he scraped off.

"Who is it for? You never make cake for anyone but me before." He whines sadly, pouting in discontent as he showed me his caterpillar. "Lime wants some."

"No, please don't." I chuckle because I didn't want a bug crawling through the cake. To be honest though...this cake was for him.

His birthday was coming up soon and we were going to have his birthday party at my mom's house tomorrow. Turning five years old...my baby. He's already been in the world for five years and it saddens me to think that it went by so fast.

"Mommy you know what tomorrow is?" He asks me curiously as if I didn't know. My lips purse at his question and play dumb.

"I know that it's Tuesday. Tuesday's are one of my favorite days out of the week. Friday is my most favorite." I say happily only for him to pout. He didn't look very happy by my answer.

I know it's his birthday.

Tomorrow I will take him to my moms and his friends from his preschool will be there. I would gladly let him run his fingers on the cake, but there's others that will be eating this.

"You really not know?" He whines a bit, leaning a bit closer towards me. I shake my head nonchalantly. That's when he steps back from the counter, pouting.

When I see him stomp out of the kitchen I smile softly. That's when I take the cake and put it in a proper place to get for tomorrow.

That's when I clean up. It was very early in the morning and I didn't want to leave a mess for anyone. I wasn't trying to be banned from cooking here.

Once I finish cleaning I leave, rubbing my hands off on my shirt. Maybe I'll take the cake over today...just in case.

When I turn a corner I'm surprised by a person I see. Someone I didn't want to see either...it was just...

It was weird to see Xavion wave at me.

After everything that happened and what he tried to do...he still wants to put on an act? I know what he was trying to do - and I know what he could've done. If Ezra wasn't there I most likely would've been assaulted...

My lips tighten into a straight line, looking away from him.

"Is there a problem?" He asks me, walking towards me even though I didn't really want to be near him. "I assume...Ezra put a thought into your mind-."

"You spiked the water and had ulterior motives. Why would you do that?" I ask him off the bat, and he frowns. "Don't play...dumb."

Xavion grinned at me, shaking his head.

"I did put something in it, I won't lie; but I wasn't going to take advantage of you. It was a matter of what you would do if you took it-."

"You know exactly what you were doing!" I snap at him. His eyes widen only for them to become bored-looking.

I see him shrug nonchalantly, and there was absolutely no shame. He walked closer towards me just to grin, but it didn't reach his eyes genuinely.

"You're here for a job, right?"

My eyes widen, and I sneer at him.

"You know why I'm here. Don't believe every person that tells you something. I am here for a debt and-."