twenty three

"What's wrong with 'cool man'?" Remi asks me quietly, and I grin down at him. I see him look back at Ezra sadly to the point that I wondered if it was wise for him to see him this way.

Ezra had his head lowered a bit as he stared at the ground. He didn't really have much emotion present, but he did show emotion to what Remi said.

"Nothing is wrong." Ezra mumbles quietly, looking back up to look at Remi.

There was this forced smile on his face that didn't sit right with me. Remi noticed as well and he pouted by such a thing. He rushes towards Ezra and sits before him, hugging his legs as he looks up at him.

"You look...so sad. Why?" Remi asks him himself now, completely disregarding what he said.

"I'm sad because of memories." Ezra croaks to him, and Remi frowned.

"Memories...? Then why think about them?" Remi asks him another question.

I was going to contemplate picking him up, taking him away from his legs. It wasn't best to rehash those things and keep prying. Except he was too innocent to know any better.

"Because I can't help myself." Ezra confessed to him softly.

"You...you can think of new memories! Have good times! Those bad stuff can't hurt you now, you...hurt self thinking about it. Those bad memories are bad memories 'cause you let them be-."

"But I know so that they are bad memories. Remi this isn't a game or anything that can be understood by someone at your age. What you say...won't change anything. It's about love." Ezra interrupts him, but not in a rude way.

Remi looked up at him with his lips parted in shock. He didn't look like he could comprehend what he just said.

When he looked at me I could see the confusion. I saw him trying to comprehend it further and he tried looking at me. Immediately I knew he was hoping that I'd give him his answer.

That's when I move my hand slowly. I rest my hand above my heart and Remi slowly did the same thing. He looks away from me slowly and back at Ezra.

"Love like how I love my bugs?" Remi questions him.

"No."

"Love like how I love my favorite food?" Remi asks another question.

"No. Nothing close to that at all-."

"Love like how I love my mommy?" Remi interrupts him loudly, grasping his shirt tightly.

Ezra looked at him now, and Remi waited a bit. I saw him waiting for his answer eventually Ezra smiled.

That caused Remi to smile too, but soon Ezra's smile dropped frighteningly. I could tell that startled Remi by his actions.

"You know nothing. I don't know love like how you do. Your version of love is the purest love ever and you know absolutely nothing!" Ezra snapped, and I glare at him.

"Ezra watch your mouth. Don't talk to him like that." I growl at him. The way he spoke to him angered me.

"Watch my mouth...watch it? I can't watch my mouth. No one else watched their mouth when they said those cruel things to me. Xavion never watched his mouth when he said those things to me and did those things to me so that I could suffer. Stellan didn't watch his mouth when he said as much hateful things to me so that I could be broken down. You...didn't watch your mouth when you called me evil and said those insults. Why do people get to say those things to me and then when I want to say something they tell me to shut up? To watch my mouth? I'm done watching my mouth!" He exclaims angrily, standing up now.